IGNORED

START 2023 Ellijay, GA Routes

Indy Dave

Without further ado, here is the route download for START 2023. 

There are the PAVEMENT routes, one (maybe two) GS type routes will be posted here later.

Please use this thread for your questions, help, ect on ROUTES.

EDIT: Give Routemaster Bernie a minute to post the link in the next post.

• Like 1
  • Indy Dave pinned this topic

2023 START Route Announcement

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are pleased to present the routes for the

2023 Spring Appalachian Riding Tour (START). 

We have 7 SportTouring routes that consist of 4 Routes with several return route choices of deferring lengths, and 3 shorter Loop Routes. The number at the end of the route name is the total miles for this route.

You can choose to download the routes in one of two different options:

1) The first option is to download the single large GPX file, which contains all the routes, Tracks, and WayPoints. 

Here is the download link for the complete START route set  in single large file: 

START 2023 Routes

2)  The second download option is to download individual Route GPX files for routes and loops. 

Here are the brief descriptions of each route, along with the individual, applicable download links:

01 Ellijay-Tellico 94m is a route to Tellico, TN. This route has 3 return route options. 94 miles. The matching return routes are included.

01A Tellico-Ellijay 182/276m circles over the Cherohala Skyway to Deals Gap and after riding across the Dragon you return to TN and ride back to Ellijay. 

Total combined distance: 276 miles.

01B Tellico-Ellijay 209/303m includes the Bald River Falls, the Cherohala, The Dragon and a section of the Tennessee Foothills Pkwy, before returning you to Ellijay. Total combined distance: 303 miles.

01C Tellico-Ellijay 243/337m includes the Cherohala, the Dragon and a longer section of the TN Foothills Pkwy before returning to Ellijay. 

Total combined distance: 337miles.

02 Ellijay-Clayton 128m is a route to Clayton, GA. This route has 3 different return options. 128 miles. The matching return routes are included.

02A Clayton-Ellijay 131/258m is returns to Ellijay over NC, Old Murphy Rd, Wolf Pen Gap and Suches. Total combined distance: 258 miles.

02B Clayton-Ellijay 187/315m returns to Ellijay over Warwoman Rd, Cashiers, NC, Walnut Rd, Old Murphy Rd, Wolf Pen Gap and Suches. 

Total combined distance: 315 miles.

02C Clayton-Ellijay 232/360m returns to Ellijay over Warwoman, South Carolina, Canada Rd, Ellijay Rd, Old Murphy Rd, Wolf Pen Gap and Suches. 

Total combined distance: 360 miles.

03 Ellijay-Blairsville 104m will lead you to Blairsville, GA. This route has 4 return options. 104 miles. The matching return routes are included.

03A Blair-Ellijay 125/230m returns to Ellijay by Blue Ridge, GA, NW into TN, and Fort Mountain. Total combined distance: 230 miles.

03B Blair-Ellijay 157/262m returns to Ellijay by Blue Ridge, GA, NW into TN, and Fort Mountain. Total combined distance: 262 miles.

03C Blair-Ellijay 190/295m returns to Ellijay by Wolf Pen Gap, Suches, Blue Ridge, GA, NW into TN, and Fort Mountain. Total combined distance: 295 miles.

03D Blair-Ellijay 202/307m returns to Ellijay by Turners Corner, Hwy60, Suches, Blue Ridge, GA, NW into TN, and Fort Mountain. 

Total combined distance: 307 miles.

04 Ellijay-Franklin 115m will lead you to Franklin, NC. This route has 2 return choices. 115 miles. The matching return routes are included.

04A Franklin-Wayah-Ellijay 176/291m returns to Ellijay by Wayah Rd, Robbinsville, Cherohala, Tellico and TN-68. Total combined distance: 291 miles.

04B Franklin-28-Ellijay 182/297m returns to Ellijay by NC-28, Robbinsville, Cherohala, Tellico and TN-68. Total combined distance: 297 miles.

05 Loop East 128m is a loop route to Dahlonega, Wolf Pen Gap, Suches and back to Ellijay. Total distance: 128 miles.

06 Loop North 89m is a loop route leading northeast around Blue Ridge, GA and back to Ellijay. Total distance: 89 miles.

07 Loop West 61m is a loop route leading west and circles around over Fort Mountain State Park, returning to Ellijay. Total distance: 61 miles.

No matter which download option you choose, please note that the routes were created in Garmin BaseCamp using City Navigator North America NT 2024.10. As always, it is advisable to recalculate the routes once you’ve opened them in your software and in your GPS unit. Make sure the mileage remains close to the original distance, before loading to your GPS device, because my BaseCamp Preference settings and maps may be different from yours. You can also display the included Tracks with the matching route on your GPS, to verify the route accuracy.

Please note: After transferring the routes to your Garmin GPS unit and rebooting it, you will have the option to “Import All Routes”. You have the choice of either importing “All Routes” or you can select individual routes. IF you select “Import All Routes”, expect it to take around 35-45 minutes to complete this process and it maybe advisable to supply your GPS with external power, to avoid depleting the battery. 

The GPX files can also be imported successfully into Garmin MapSource if you so desire. 

If you are using a phone app to navigate the routes, I would suggest using the individual downloads links for the routes.

For GS/ADV routes we recommend riding in a group, in case it turns nasty. Also take along some snacks or a bag lunch.

Also don’t forget, cell phone coverage could be spotty in the woods.

Please also use the tracks provided. “PM” Bernie for more details or questions or use the GPS-BaseCamp Guide.

**PLEASE NOTE: Due to Covid concerns, be prepared for the possibility of lunch stops being closed, having reduced seating or open for take-out only. Call ahead to restaurants to confirm that they are open. It's a good idea to pack some vittles in case of unforeseen meal challenges. Make assumptions at your own risk! **

Please start each day or route with a FULL TANK of gas and be sure to monitor your fuel needs, keeping in mind that some gas stations may no longer be open.

Disclaimer: The attached routes and instructions are to be used at your own risk, and these instructions are simply general guidelines and may not be applicable to the user’s specific use and its incumbent upon users to do their own research to determine how to set up their units and to ensure their route and directions are suitable to their own needs. Keep in mind, things change over time - so as always - use common sense when following directions from an electronic device. 

Please feel free to post any questions you might have. 

Enjoy and have a safe START 2023!

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

START2023EllijayGA.thumb.png.d2b2d562190aaa9df1214ce1c08dc358.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
6 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

It is about time.   ..

The squeaky wheel does not get the grease...   :java:    :5590:

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2

Trust me Dave, I subconsciously time the route thread to be posted.    So I got that going for me, which is nice.  :grin:

It just means the event is drawing nearer.   Oh, yeah!

• Like 1

Thank you Tim, I guess I needed to explain this better.

The problem with all of this is trying to help the Phone Nav Apps to be able to use our routes also.  

The individual links of the routes are to help the Phone App Navigation, since Apps can't handle loop routes (same start and end point).

If you don't have a Garmin GPS, you will have problems using BaseCamp, to split out the individual routes from the main route file. So I decided, this time to include all the return route choices in the link of the main routes (outgoing route). Smaller, quicker downloads and hopefully something the Nav App's can handle.

If this does not work for anyone, I can supply links for each route section. No problem at all, I me a PM or post a request here.

PS: one of the Apps, that will work for both Phone systems is OsmAnd. And you maybe be able to use the free version for the event.

PSS: I have added individual links for each route segment. Also each route is a GPX file, including the route and a track of the route.

Edited by Bernie
More Information added
  • Thanks 1

thanks routes  loaded into BaseCamp and looking good.  I now have Elliyjay, Blairsville, Fontana Dam,  New Port, Little Switzerland, blowing rock & sparta  so pretty much all of Georgia, Tn, SC and NC is now routed.  :-)

• Like 2

One thing we appreciate very much about our little corner of the Sport Touring Riding World, is how supportive, helpful and enthusiastic ARTers are! As I'm sure any of you know, if  :whistle:   there are hiccups in the ART machinery,  I'm the one shoving the stick into the spokes of the perfectly turning wheel. HOWEVER . . when it comes to routes . . . We follow  a very firm policy: While routes are complete and triple checked long before the 4 week posting timeline. There are several reasons we do not post them earlier, and honestly, if I had my way, they wouldn't be posted that early!  :old: 

So in that sense, the ARTs have that going for them, which is nice!  :shake:

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

One thing we appreciate very much about our little corner of the Sport Touring Riding World, is how supportive, helpful and enthusiastic ARTers are! As I'm sure any of you know, if  :whistle:   there are hiccups in the ART machinery,  I'm the one shoving the stick into the spokes of the perfectly turning wheel. HOWEVER . . when it comes to routes . . . We follow  a very firm policy: While routes are complete and triple checked long before the 4 week posting timeline. There are several reasons we do not post them earlier, and honestly, if I had my way, they wouldn't be posted that early!  :old: 

So in that sense, the ARTs have that going for them, which is nice!  :shake:

Was this post intended as a PM to @wbw6cos? Asking for a friend!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Please send your thank you’s to the dedicated BBR staff. They are out there preparing the routes for your enjoyment. IMG_6037.jpeg.936576353b9d6335b8629c9300659865.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3

I found a few helpful files online. These will be of help if you are not to comfortable, or familiar with the use of BaseCamp or the procedure of transferring the routes to your Garmin GPS/BMW Navigator V or VI (5 or 6).

These pdf's have been written by Ed Conde of the New England Riders, and I believe he is also a member here.

He has a lot of valuable information available to get you familiar with GPS units and Garmin BaseCamp, including manuals for PC and Mac units.

New England Riders GPS Tips

Here are the links on how to transfer a downloaded GPX(route) file from your computer to your GPS direct, without opening BaseCamp or installing it.

This will work with our routes as well as other GPX files.

Download NER Rides to GPS via PC

Download NER Rides to GPS via Mac

Ed Conde has also made a very nice pdf that explains the use of Tracks with navigable Routes and there purpose.

How to follow NER Rides with a Garmin GPS

As I said these instructions will work also with our START/FART routes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Panhandle Chuck said:

In.......PanhandleChuck and FLBubba

I am happy to have you join us. I think you should repost this in main thread for START 2023, so @Indy Davecan add you to the list. Don’t forget to pay for dinner if you want to join us for it. 

Motorhead1977

Bernie, Thank you for the link to the NER instructions GPS to PC.  It was invaluable and as result I now have the routes loaded  to my Navi VI.  Since I tend to be a "slight bit" IT challenged I most likely would not have figured it out on my own.  All you work is appreciated.  It's so hard to ride and read a paper map, even if it's laminated. :dopeslap:

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

Whilst looking over all the battery powered gizmos, in preparation for START '23, I have found my XT did not have the routes imported. WTH?  I thought I reclaculated them and sent them to the device.  Oh, well.  Musta cleared everything and forgot.  Glad I checked.   :ohboy:

One question came to mind:   Do I import the individual routes separately, or send the entire START 2023 Ellijay file to the Zumo XT?  In the past I have sent each route, one at a time.  Just wondering if either way is better.  Or does it really matter?

I did click on each route and recalculated them, so got that going for me, which is nice.

Thanks!

Screenshot2023-04-22093914.jpg.1465b0292ee00ff25138f8ce08e10083.jpg

Screenshot2023-04-22093943(2).jpg.e8e0cb3a31a5fb957808812b88a93fdf.jpg

Bill Murray

@wbw6cosMy suggestion would be to export the List that contains all the START data to a GPX file and load that GPX file to the SD card in your GPS (assuming you have a card installed). The GPX file should be loaded to the \Garmin\GPX folder on the card. If you do this, you can load any waypoints, routes, and tracks as needed. If you delete them and later decide you still need them, you can re-load them from the data on the SD card. This works like a champ with my XT.

• Thanks 1
RandyShields

With a Nav V and VI, I used to transfer the routes separately.  That was a pain.  Then, I imported the entire file, opened and recalculated each one, and was on my way.  It worked just fine.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay, my bike is making me ride all day again. :4617:
You can do it either way. I transfer everything at once to the GPS. The file I posted for download is already a GPX file. You also do not need to recalculate the routes in BaseCamp. Just transfer them to your GPS, by either using the Transfer command in BaseCamp or Copy &Paste the file into the folder Garmin/GPX in your GPS. Then you are all set. 
The individual route files are intended for the phone app navigation devices. Or for the riders that are following a ride leader with a GPS. :4607:

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, y'all.   I sent the file over all at once.   Quick and easy that way.  I then imported them to make sure I have them.   

Is it Wednesday yet?   Come on, already!

• Like 2

I am going try to go to Suches for lunch. Purely a research trip, not at all for fun, only in the interest of the well being of the group. 

• Like 3