Strap Buckles

John Diakonis

John Diakonis

I have two HTW bags with straps and like the setup, but I have such trouble strapping things down with the d rings. Has anyone converted the d rings to plastic buckles? Something adjustable with a safety catch? I'd like to use her straps because they are very smooth and soft so they don't scratch the paint.Any suggestions on where to look?

ShovelStrokeEd

You can find the buckles and other handy findings at most camping stores. Either in the backpacking or the rock climbing sections. Boat stores sometimes carry them as well, look over by the canoe or kayak sections. Also available from McMaster Carr, look under webbing.

You can also look in fabric/sewing stores. They usually carry both nylon webbing and buckles for a lot less than the camping stores.

I had the exact same problem. We carry the two thermarests and sleeping bags in a H2W extra-large duffel on my Top of the Line luggage rack. When we strapped it down at sea level on a cold morning and tried to get the D-rings off on a warm afternoon at 10,000 feet, it was a total PITA! tongue.gif

I went to REI (camping supply store) and bought two side-release buckles. The strap is plenty long and I cut it and put the buckles in-line. Now, I can torque down on the D-rings tightly, but on arrival at elevation I can just "pop" the buckles and unload everything in a jiffy! thumbsup.gif

Be sure to get QUALITY buckles as all buckles are NOT created equally. They need to have a very positive closure and be UV resistant. They add four extra failure points to the tie-down system and they're not nearly as expensive as watching your stuff go bouncing down the road to be run over . . . so invest accordingly! wave.gif

Yeeha! Stephen
tried to get the D-rings off on a warm afternoon at 10,000 feet, it was a total PITA!

Even doubling the strap back through the D-ring in a loop?

I've had the straps tighten up in the heat, but after Helen showed me the trick, I've never had any more trouble.

tried to get the D-rings off on a warm afternoon at 10,000 feet, it was a total PITA!

I've had the straps tighten up in the heat, but after Helen showed me the trick, I've never had any more trouble.

DOH!!!!! dopeslap.gif

Oh sure! NOW you tell me AFTER I cut up my beautiful straps! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Seriously, that sounds like a pretty slick trick and it would also make an easier "handle" to grab onto and torque down on. Hmmmmmm, sure wish I had friends in high places like Stephen! wave.gifgrin.gif

I just fabricated an ammo box for my pillion seat pan (for carrying the two laptops) and made a bracket on top of that for securing the cooler. I've got a second set of H2W straps in the closet that I was going to use to tie it down for the upcoming trip to Gunnison until I can get the Peltier cooling module and insulating blanket design nailed down. Now I won't have to go to the store to pick up buckles and fill the house with the smell of burning nylon. Thanks again, Yeeha! See you soon! grin.gif

Stephen: Depending on my cancer cat scan results (see Dr. this friday to see if it has returned yet) I may be getting H2W bags and straps.

1)Could you elaborate on the statement " even doubling the strap back through the D-ring in a loop?" I talked to helen the other day, and thought she just said after you attach the d-ring strap, you thread the long strap through the slots in her bags and then thread the loose end through both ends of the d-ring and then once over one d-ring and then under the other d-ring (like a bike helmet strap). Are you saying too double the strap up,(fold one short section of strap back upon itself) and run it through both d-rings and then once over one d-ring and then under the other d-ring?

2)I told her I had seen some post where people were drilling and installing bungee buddies in their side cases and then using these as an mounting point for the straps. She said I didn't need to do that on my '98 RT. I have those 2 squarish black passenger handholds that curve up from either side of the seat and curve back to the luggage rack. Shouldn't I be able to install the short d-ring straps on those passenger handholds and then run the loose end of the long straps through the d-rings? I've read a few posts where it seems like you have to have mounting points to the side or front too- getting confused on this point. Thanks for any suggestions.

Yeeha! Stephen

Michael

Picture worth a thousand words? Bear with me... I don't have a hosting site.

#1 & #2 is where I anchor the straps.

695728-h2w1a.jpg

695728-h2w1a.jpg.5d004ca127e1fb58e4921f4956c18191.jpg

Yeeha! Stephen

Next, strap your bag and run your straps throught the D-rings... except loop the tightening strap instead of threading it flat.

Like so...

695731-h2w3a.jpg

695731-h2w3a.jpg.b53856063061fe6c201775587c3a6180.jpg

Yeeha! Stephen

Practice, practice, practice... and you will get the hang of tightening the straps to your various loads.

To loosen or remove the straps easily, just pull on the loose end the way you would your shoe strings. No worries about how tight your straps got in the heat... just yank the loose end.

695738-h2w5a.jpg

Hope this helps everyone with the "secret" to Helen Two Wheels strap tightening.

I didn't know either till Helen showed me at Paonia a few years ago. dopeslap.gif

695738-h2w5a.jpg.7d8ef351085fd623fcdda0cee64b71eb.jpg

Thanks for the how-to photos. I had bought H2W straps a few years ago and had the same problem mentioned above: hard to undo when I got to where I was going. I decided to buy rock straps; which in effect are what Jamie did to his straps. The H2W straps are just a bit longer, and I was thinking of buying some buckles so I could use them with the other end of the rock straps. Now I won't have to. Coooool... thumbsup.gif

Archived