gmcjetpilot

Please to enjoy 

Wire covering handlebar and FI:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6abuJor9FatCitfK9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yvYFCFF2rF7sZxz67
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DASkPhQ9sYEQEUuT7

Bike Naked:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FrWAd5s9s7EbjLCN6

The pictures are wires from Right Handlebar and Left FI. I am not LOOKING to break this stuff off but I am working on my bike after it sat for years. Trying to bring it back up to snuff. 

Don't think it is hurting anything, the wires looks fine. However I want to protect the wires and make it looks spiffy. I am sure some light cover that wraps around will work. Electrical tape would look gosh awful. The heavy split plastic snap on conduit is overkill. Suggestions? Thank you

Yep. Same issue here. With a 2000 R1100R.  Seems to affect only the harness sheathing plastic, not the wire insulation. I’ve used a combination of zip ties and electrical tape.  Practical but looks cheap. 

• Like 1
gmcjetpilot

Thanks guys the braided split wire loom wrap cable sleeve is just what I needed and price ain't bad. I have lots of uses for this stuff besides the bike. Cheers. 

• Plus 1 1
10 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

Thanks guys the braided split wire loom wrap cable sleeve is just what I needed and price ain't bad. I have lots of uses for this stuff besides the bike. Cheers. 

Morning  gmcjetpilot

That is pretty well what I use (split convoluted wire covering), I don't recommend that cheaper covering if you can avoid it (at least for under tank & near high heat areas). I have seen some auto fires when using the cheaper convoluted wire covering as most of it isn't melt proof or fire proof (regardless of the selling info).  If that cheaper plastic melts then drips or sags onto a hot part it can cling long enough to catch fire.  

I typically use an automotive grade "high temperature" (about 300°f)  convoluted wire covering, not the cheap indoor TV cable covering stuff with no approved temperature rating. 

The cheap stuff can work for external things like handlebar wire covering or other (away from engine or exhaust heat) applications. 

The Rocketman
gmcjetpilot

I bought 3mm, 5mm split woven wrap, both in regular and High Temp. I got a great deal on Ali Express. The down side I will have to wait a 1-2 months. I have good luck with Ali Express. I am getting shipping notifications already. I suspect it is coming by Ship.... It takes 15-18 days for passage. You can count on 1 to 2 weeks on each end. After port of entry it has to clear customs and get transferred to destination (USA) carrier, typically USPS and delivery. I expect 4 weeks min to 7 weeks. I have been surprised a few times and items showed up in 3-4 weeks. At the cost they sell and low or no shipping charge I am sure it is a slow boat from China.  I hope to have the bike running before then. The wire covers are not super critical for a short time....

• 1 month later...
gmcjetpilot

Taaa Daaa. The wiring covers came out great. The more I looked the more I found. I had a big bile of wire harness cover on the floor. It never took a took, just thumb and fore finger, and just twisted it and it crumbled in chunks. The braded wiring wrap worked the trick. I used 1/8. 1/4 and 3/8 inch sizes. I bought 10 feet of each and had plenty. I also bought a bunch of small black zip ties, and I used a lot. Between the new wire covers and new brake lines BMW loves zip ties...The  ABS wire covers were fine, and still sound. However  I got crazy and covered most of the ABS sensor lines. The ones coming off the handlebar where pinched bad by tie wrap over tightened. 

sm BMW Wire Wrap 1.jpg

sm BMW Wire Wrap 2.jpg

sm BMW Wire Wrap 3.jpg

sm BMW Wire Wrap 4.jpg

• Like 2