IGNORED

180 Tyres on a 1250GS (170/60 R 17 std)

SixSeven

G'day, 

Has anyone put a 180/60 R 17 or larger on a R1250GS ? This is for no other reason but looks, so also happy to hear opinions. Most appreciated though, are experiences with handling changes on larger tyre widths then BMW standards.

Ta, 

S7

10 hours ago, SixSeven said:

G'day, 

Has anyone put a 180/60 R 17 or larger on a R1250GS ? This is for no other reason but looks, so also happy to hear opinions. Most appreciated though, are experiences with handling changes on larger tyre widths then BMW standards.

Ta, 

S7

Morning S7

I don't personally know of anyone myself as the riders that I ride with ride too hard to put tires on rims that are too narrow for the tire.

Just a couple of things to consider__

Your rear rim is technically too narrow for a 180/60 R 17 tire so mounting most 180/60 R 17 tire's on your rim will pull the beads in therefore  increasing the round profile. That will wear the tire's center faster & change the lean-in characteristics. 

The other thing to think about is will (the 180/60 R 17) tire that you want  to use clear the cutout in your rear swing arm? How close is your present tire? Not all tires of the same rated width are the same (actual) width as they can vary in actual inflated width.  

It also depends on the tire type you plan on using, if a knobby type then some have side knobs that can make the tire wider in the area that clears the swing arm cutout. 

A wider tire on a narrow rim doesn't always look good as it kind of pinches the sidewalls in making the tire look somewhat odd.  A wider tire especially doesn't look good if the tire is worn completely flat in a narrow band at the very center with the outer tread looking like new as that is something seasoned riders typically joke about when they see it.  

• Like 2