IGNORED

2015 1200rt backrest options

Dingo55

Hi all

Hoping people can share their experiences, good and bad, regarding any backrest product they may have tried for this particular bike

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Mark  

I'll get ya some pictures of my 2018 RT with the Sargent back rest when I'm back on my laptop.  I'm using the rider only, though I also have a pillion backrest, because it bolts on only to the back rack, and I have the 49L case there.  Eventually, I'll test it with my wife when (if) she starts riding with me again, but more than likely, it'll go up for sale, because she's pretty much always going to want (and need) that big truck back there behind her (ya know, cause her purse will ~~ just about ~~ fit in there, if I squeeze it some.🙄😁).    (By the way, I think Sargent's website has pictures of it mounted, if you don't wanna wait for mine. 😏)

However, item #1, you pretty much have to be a gymnast to get your leg over a rider's back rest, to sit the seat.  I've kind of adapted, i.e. I put the bike on the center stand, and step up and over the left side peg, to sit down.  When I have to get off, well, I have to be more creative.   I put the side stand down, my left foot/leg down, turn towards the bike, and lift my right leg as high as I can, and drag my right leg over the seat.  (Nope, not a gymnast, even back in my best day.)   If you try to lift your leg up and over the seat AND backrest like you'd normally do with the bike, please post some pictures, 'cause I've never seen a male ballerina ride a Beemer.   🤣🤣🤣  There's probably a better way, but I don't know it, and I'm uncomfortable with anything that impacts either my control of, or mobility on a motorcycle.

Second, I bought the Sargent because I found them on Ebay at about 1/3 retail price.  They match my Sargent seats (minor plus, I hardly care), and work pretty well.   However, my preference would have been the Bakup backrest.  The Sargent rider's backrest has to be bolted to the pillion seat, whereas the Bakup version mounts to the frame, via the pillion bolts.  Much more convenient, mounts on and off in about a minute.  The Sargent?  Better have some tools and and an extra half hour, maybe longer, and if you're making the switch on the road, make sure you bring a little baggie to put all the nuts and bolts in.

Curious thing, though.  Bakup USA has either gone out of business, or they're website has been hacked by a gambling group.  I couldn't even find anything in stock on stores that normally carried their products.  So, I don't know what happened.

As far as my experience using the rider's backrest, it's "OK".  Very adjustable, but again, you'd better bring an extra wrench in your toolkit just for the bolts (hex, if I recall correctly).  It was a real hassle adjusting the backrest position, but at least they provide quite a bit of flexibility to do so.  (It's kind of like, move it this way, nope, the gear pops too far past position, move it back, nope, forward, nope, not yet, up, down, throw it to the side of the road in anger, go pick it up, dust it off, and start again .... etc., THEN ride with it, nope, stop by the road, start wrenching again, forward, back, up, down, spin it around!)  But, maybe that's just a person problem for me.

I value the backrest, but I'm not even sold on the fit and comfort.  I think I'll have to have it though, because my back will scream without support otherwise.  (Ya know, some guys just complain too much.  NO one that I know of course ... 😖).

14 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

stock on store

I got my BakUp from Sierra BMW in Reno/Sparks; they've always seemed to have one, but I don't know about today.  They certainly would be able to answer questions about the company, though.

Hi all 

Thanks for the replies 

Much appreciated

I don't see the soft bag on the back seat being an option for me

I need a much more targeted support to maintain the curvature in the spine down low and it needs to be fairly rigid to achieve that

I looked up the sargent backrest 

$360 US  plus $300 US for delivery                                                                       

Not a problem as long as I can be certain it will do the job 

I'm  curious as to how much "flex" there is in the metal arm part of this product

Could it be (if required) regidisised ( there's a word you've probably never seen before) if needed? ie bracketed to be more rigid

Failing that it might need to be a DIY

Cheers

Mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

20 minutes ago, Dingo55 said:

Hi all 

Thanks for the replies 

Much appreciated

I don't see the soft bag on the back seat being an option for me

I need a much more targeted support to maintain the curvature in the spine down low and it needs to be fairly rigid to achieve that

I looked up the sargent backrest 

$360 US  plus $300 US for delivery                                                                       

Not a problem as long as I can be certain it will do the job 

I'm  curious as to how much "flex" there is in the metal arm part of this product

Could it be (if required) regidisised ( there's a word you've probably never seen before) if needed? ie bracketed to be more rigid

Failing that it might need to be a DIY

Cheers

Mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

How much flex, depends a lot on personal circumstances.  If I were 180 lbs instead of my ~~ ahem ~~ more "portly" weight, there'd probably be a whole lot less flex with mine.

In all seriousness, it's a very adaptable platform (again, check Sargent's marketing info and pictures).  I haven't ridden a whole lot since I got it towards the end of last season, but I kept it a bit forward, so it flexed by design for me.  I might be moving it back just a fraction, which is where I fault the stand.  The stand adjustment screws must be loosened quite a bit to find a new position, and with all those moving parts and flexibility, it's tough to move it "just a smidge" without it becoming out of position, far off from where you started.  So some patience, and trail and error are required.  For certain, don't have it delivered the night before "the big social rider", slap it on that night, and expect a good result the next day.  It'll take time to "tune it" to your ... um... "specifications" (however heavy different they may be). 😁

I doubt that you'd have a need to try adding rigidity to the metal frame, as long as you're willing to accept a bit of a tighter fit until you're in the saddle and eased back into it.  It probably moves an inch or two, not a lot, and not something I can really measure unless I have someone else on the rider's seat and actually put a ruler to it.  Once seated on the bike and riding, there's no "springiness" to it, I holds the rider in position, which IMHO, is exactly what you want it to do.  I believe that Sargent has a liberal return policy, if it doesn't work out for you.  Also, you should be able to save a few $$$ if you pick it up on eBay.  Just be sure of what they're selling you, i.e. that it fits your model (returns are NOT easy on forums like ebay).

I had the bike out for maintenance this afternoon, so I took some additional pictures.  I hadn't thought to add, double check with Sargent to ensure this seat fits a stock pan.  My seat is a Sargent, but I'm pretty certain their stockrest will bolt on to a OEM pillion seat the same way.   Hope this helps @Dingo55 with his decision. 

SargentBackRest03.thumb.jpg.255c404609240b45c78fd690ec4fdeaa.jpgSargentBackRest02.thumb.jpg.5c21a971c00c310e956a84e9af3cf041.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.7bb75f79d133e0a933b979b5d857de08.jpegSargentBackRest04.thumb.jpg.1dde84405aa88b566932d9b12ff451b7.jpg

Hi All

Thanks to Scott for the info and pics 

Much appreciated

Pics always help

From what I've come across the Sargent website indicates that their backrest does NOT fit the OEM pan

However I did come across other info that states and shows that it can be made to fit with minimal fuss

A little confused as to the struggle to get it positioned correctly

As I understand it the process is 4 holes into the front of the rear seat with backing plates behind, bolts through and nuts behind ( didn't I just make that the most simple of processes:4322:

What could possibly go wrong?

Does anyone know the length of the support shaft from the bend to the top of the shaft

The reason I ask is because I'm currently experimenting with some foam seat cushions to get comfort and seat height right for me 

Nearly 2" taller at the moment .Almost level with the top of the rear seat 

Just hoping that will allow enough up range of movement of the backrest up the support shaft

Not really familiar with the ins and outs of ebay 

What are the traps to be aware of in terms of ordering quality gear ?

Cheers

Mark

7.5" - From bottom of base to the bend (Of the flat bar support, i.e. that's attached to the seat).

2.5 - From the bend, to the top of the flat bar support (hidden behind the seat, and behind the "U" tubular upper support, in the pictures).

4.75 - The length of the tubular upper support frame, from the middle of the "U" to the end of either part of the round shaft.

Hope those explanations are clear. 

Thanks Scott

That was what I'd seen previously but couldn't put my finger on

Sargent Aus want $1100 for their backrest so looks like it's time to get creative and make my own

Cheers

Mark

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Sargent Aus want $1100 for their backrest

Wow.... $360USD here in the States......

So Sargent Aus doubles the U.S. factory price.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Thanks Scott

That was what I'd seen previously but couldn't put my finger on

Sargent Aus want $1100 for their backrest so looks like it's time to get creative and make my own

Cheers

Mark

Hmm, I wonder what the rules (i.e. AUS customs fees) are for shipping from USA to AUS, and the shipping cost.  I'll betcha I could get my hands on a Sargent backrest for $360 USD ($540 AUD) or less and ship it there for less than $1100 AUD.  Maybe, maybe not

Just thinkin' out loud ...  

Customer service on an RMA could be a bear, though.

• Like 1

Hi all

Thanks for the replies

Not exactly sure who these people are

Seems like their gear is coming from the States 

If so I guess they are adding their cut on sending it on 

Back rest for $1100 

Front seat no heat $770

Might be dealing with some GFC's

Cheers

Mark

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

Maybe you should just order the back rest from Sargent directly and pay for the shipping. 

Yep.  I'd assumed that @Dingo55 was dealing directly with Sargent.  That'd be my first choice, too.