IGNORED

URGENT- Trying to find Timing marks

axabmw

I'm about to do a valve adjustment and TBS. I don't seem to be able to find the rubber plug that's suppossed to let me see the timing marks. 2004 Twinspark R1150RT. Both sides of the fairing are off.

I was expecting to find something like my old R100RS had?

BucksTherapy

You don't need the timing marks on the fly wheel unless you are planning on changing the actual timing.

When you pull the valve covers you will be able to see the end of the cam shaft which has a gear/sprocket on it which is driven by the tming chain. This gear has an arrow stamped into it. When the arrow is pointing directly away from the engine then one side or the other will be at TDC. Just check to see on which side the cap that pushes on the valve stem have a little slack for all valves. Adjust the valves on this side. Turn the motor 180 degrees until the other sides has the arrow pointing out and the other side will be at TDC.

Good Luck!

SAAB93driver

Black circular plug on the flywheel housing, right hand side of engine, in the area of the throttle body. It sits about flush with the housing.

IMPORTANT......when rotating the engine, be sure to rotate in the normal direction of rotation. Doing otherwise can damage the cam chain guides.

Even on an older "98 RT, this arrow on the gear is supposed to be at 3:00, (3 o' clock) with the arrow parallel to the ground, correct?

Found an inspection cover on each cylinder head that let me see the arrow. Some valves were tight some loose. After doing the valves I put the guages on to do a TBS and they were so close I didn't think it was worth disturbing things. I don't think I'd have got them better.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Found an inspection cover on each cylinder head that let me see the arrow. Some valves were tight some loose. After doing the valves I put the guages on to do a TBS and they were so close I didn't think it was worth disturbing things. I don't think I'd have got them better.

They're not really inspection covers; that's where you fit your wrench in to loosen/tighten the retention bolt on the cam sprocket. With the valve cover off, there is adequate visual access to the face of the cam sprocket for observing arrow position, though you may want a flashlight. I mean, uh, an electric torch. crazy.gif

Archived