IGNORED

Fuel filter change and the RID not displaying fuel level

Edgar

Yesterday I changed the fuel filter on a ‘97 R1100RT. The tank had less than a gallon of gas in and the low fuel light was on prior to taking the tank off. The filter went on OK and I buttoned it up and put it on the bike, secured the tank, and started it up. It started right up and ran fine. The fuel indicator on the RID showed 1 bar and the low fuel light was still on. I stopped the engine and put a half gallon of gas in the bike. I re-started it and as before it ran fine but better yet, the low fuel light was out! I buttoned it back up and called it good. Today I went out for some gas, filled it up and there was no indication for fuel level in the RID. I was mostly concerned with the float, but that seems to be OK as the light worked fine yesterday. The fuel level indicator has for a while been short a bar or two but it did work. Now it doesn’t. As I understand it, the float on the bottom associated with the fuel filter is for the light and not the RID. Is that correct? Are there any suggestions on what happened and on how we can get the display going?

ShovelStrokeEd

The sensor for the RID display is in a tube inside the tank. Could be the wire came adrift or, when you turned the tank on its side to replace the fuel filter some debris got in there and caused the float in the tube to stick.

Confronted with the same situation, I would first check the connector, both halves, for a pushed back pin or corrosion on the contacts. Radio Shack sells a tuner cleaner that you could spray into the connectors (key off) and see if that works. Failing that, you'll probably have to pull the pump assembly again and have a look around.

As a follow up to the fuel display not working, I emptied and removed the tank, took off the bottom cover and checked out the filter again. The two wire plug inside the tank that connects up with the RID was unplugged. Next time I'll make sure I hear the connector snap shut.

Glad it was just the connector, even though it must have been a pain to pull the tupperware and tank again. I just did my first fuel filter on a '98 RT and I was a little paranoid- first, I had heard what a buggger it was to do and second, I was afraid something wouldn't work right when I put it all back together. That was a challenge getting all the stuff to come out of the tank, change those darn oetiker clamps, and then stuff everything back in. I used a plastic putty knife to sort of stuff the fuel pump sock in there, and I was very careful to put wires around the hoses so the little buggers would not slip back into the tank and be lost. Last, I made sure that the fuel line clamps were offset so that they would not hang up the low fuel warning light arm. I pushed off those two small vent lines with the oetiker clamps attached (not easy) and then crammed them back on with the original clamps on- I hope they hold. I used a new 0-ring gasket and put it on first- but I next time i think I will not tighten the tank o-ring bolts so much. I did not strip any threads, but I think I probably put more torque on them than necessary. There was a post with pictures somewhere (that showed Jamie I think) going through all the work of taking out that fuel float mechanism, if in the end that's what you would have had to do- (instead of just the connector).

In a related issue...

My low gas light is coming on when I still have two LCD bars left. Normal or abby normal?

Bob

Mine sometimes comes on at 2 bars. Even though I know I have lots of gas left, having that orange light on the dash, sure makes me look for fuel. confused.gif

In a related issue...

My low gas light is coming on when I still have two LCD bars left. Normal or abby normal?

Bob

My riders manual says it should come on at two bars. Mine in fact, comes on at a low 1 bar and about 25 miles fuel left.

If you are concerned, the light is controlled by the float arm on the fuel filter/pump mount and can be adjusted by judiciously slightly bending the arm. To me it is more effort than it is worth.

If you are concerned, the light is controlled by the float arm on the fuel filter/pump mount and can be adjusted by judiciously slightly bending the arm. To me it is more effort than it is worth.

Figures. I was just in there swapping the fuel filter. I felt lucky that I got everything back in and it works. I think I'll just carry an extra gallon in the bag for awhile and see what's really left with 2 bars, thanks.

Bob

Archived