IGNORED

2023 Ducati Desert X First Ride Review

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

2023 Ducati Desert X Review Intro

It’s rare when a concept motorcycle is put into production and then exceeds the expected appearance and performance. In Italian, “azzeccato” loosely translates to “nailed it.” And azzeccato is precisely what Ducati did with the DesertX.

When Ducati debuted the DesertX concept bike at 2019’s EICMA, with styling cues from rally raid bikes of decades past, the reception was overwhelmingly positive. The response was so positive that Ducati claims they had no choice but to put this machine into production. But would they be able to keep the daring spirit of that concept bike alive in a production machine?

Ducati went one better. When photos of production models started to surface, they showed the captivating appearance of the concept model was intact—but the engine was swapped from the 1100cc air-cooled Scrambler version to the 937cc liquid-cooled L-twin Testastretta variant found in the Multistrada V2, Hypermotard, and Monster. This upgrade gave the DesertX more horsepower and longer maintenance intervals, lending itself well to ADV trouncing.

2023 DucatiDesertX First Ride 1

On the Road

The DesertX is ergonomically comfortable but feels more like a larger dirt than a large ADV bike. Ducati offers seat options that vary from 34.4 to 34.1 inches; a suspension kit can drop it as low as 33.3 inches; and a one-piece, taller rally-style seat option that makes the transition to standing on the pegs easier, too.

A Ducati technician gave me a quick tutorial on the six ride modes before ride leader (and professional racer) Jordan Graham guided us through the trails and winding roads surrounding Aspen, Colorado. These ride modes are viewed on a five-inch TFT color display that’s easy to read even in bright sunlight.

2023 DucatiDesertX First Ride TFT

There was no mistaking the DesertX’s heritage out on the pavement. Its 110-HP powerplant felt and sounded like a proper Ducati, although the fluid, linear power delivery didn’t quite deliver that “eyes in the back of your head” acceleration I expected. Take note that our run took place from 8,000 to almost 12,000 feet, and the engine had a more dynamic feel at lower elevations. However, make no mistake, that engine has Ducati performance through and through.

There are four ride modes for street, all adjustable while riding:

• Sport mode offers the full 110 HP, dynamic, instant throttle response, and the least amount of traction and wheelie control.
  • Touring mode features the full 110 HP output with a smoothed-out, more gentle throttle response and more interference from traction and wheelie control.
  • Urban mode drops output to 95 HP and provides a smooth throttle response along with increased traction and wheelie control levels.
  • Wet mode features 95 HP output, smooth throttle delivery, and the highest traction and wheelie control levels.

Each aspect of these four modes can be custom tailored as the rider sees fit. Throttle response, ABS, power output, traction control, engine braking, and wheelie control can be tweaked for preference.

Toggling between Sport, Touring, and Urban modes, Sport was undoubtedly the most fun and exhilarating. Power wheelies on command with the attitude of an oversized Supermoto that had me grinning. Touring mode was a bit more relaxed with its smoother throttle response, higher level of traction control, and overall friendlier demeanor, perfect for gobbling up those road miles. And it flourished in Urban mode while cutting through stop-and-go traffic through downtown Aspen.

2023 DucatiDesertX First Ride twist

On the road, I ran the DesertX mostly in Sport mode because it was pure Ducati fun. Toggling between the modes on the bar-mounted control was relatively straightforward. Still, I suggest practicing while stationary to get familiar with the menu and operation. One last thing of note is that in all modes, ABS can be disabled front and rear with the touch of a button.

The DesertX is the first Ducati to feature a 21-inch front wheel. It’s standard issue for serious off-roading, but this setup isn’t known for its on-road agility. Ducati didn’t get that memo, and the DesertX was superb in the twisties. It initiated turns well and felt relatively stable and planted throughout turns. Pure Ducati. I approached some deep lean angles a few times, and the DesertX just laughed as if asking, “Is that all you have?” The Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tubeless tires contributed to the DesertX’s impressive on-road manners. It’s one of the better-handling ADV bikes out there on the pavement, maybe the best.

The Brembo Monoblock four-piston calipers with dual 320mm semi-floating discs wrangled the DesertX from speed rapidly with a one-finger pull. Braking power was strong, controllable, and progressive with great feel.

2023 DucatiDesertX First Ride Brembo

Doing It in the Dirt

How does the DesertX perform in the dirt? Ducati engineers must have done their homework because after just a few minutes in the dirt it was apparent the designers had spent a lot of time making sure it was suited for off-road action.

As previously mentioned, the ergonomics are comfortable and have a natural feel. It’s the most comfortable ADV bike I’ve been on for extended periods of standing; the farther along on the trail I rode, the better the DesertX felt. It carries its weight low, feels quite agile, and lacks any top-heaviness that can be troublesome in low-speed and technical trail situations.

2023 DucatiDesertX First Ride dirt

Dry weight is 445 lb., with a ready-to-ride weight of 492 lb. It doesn’t feel like a 450cc enduro, but it also doesn’t feel like a nearly-500 lb. machine in the dirt. I could predictably and consistently change direction on the trail with little effort. Front-to-rear balance was very neutral and added to its agile feel for a bike of its weight.

It’s quite noticeable that the DesertX chassis was developed first and foremost for the dirt—it feels at home when the pavement runs out, thanks to well-balanced KYB suspension front and rear. A fully adjustable 46mm upside fork offers 9.1 inches of travel up front, while a fully adjustable mono-shock provides 8.7 inches of travel in the rear. I needed that adjustability as I’m about 240 lb.

There are two off-road ride modes offered: Rally and Enduro. Rally is the more aggressive, offering 110 HP, dynamic throttle response, wheelie control off, minimal traction control, and the lowest level of ABS in the front while rear ABS is disabled. This is “beast mode,” and what a glorious beast it is. For the more experienced off-roader, Rally mode is a shot of pure adrenalin.

2023 DucatiDesertX First Ride rally

While I am a well-versed off-roader and loved Rally mode, I had to be constantly aggressive both mentally and physically, which wore me out. That’s where Enduro mode comes in. Engine power is reduced to 75 HP but retains a dynamic throttle response needed for off-road situations. ABS levels front and rear are bumped up a notch along with traction control. Wheelie control is still off. Remember that each feature can be custom configured in both ride modes. ABS, Throttle Response, Traction Control, and Engine Braking can be served up the way you prefer. Enduro mode was quite impressive and my personal preference for serious all-day off-roading. The electronic systems ensured the bike had plenty of tractability and control through slippery, rocky terrain.

The Lowdown

As good as the DesertX is on the street, it is even better off-road. Ducati has built a high-performance ADV bike that immediately challenges for the title of best middleweight ADV bike and all-around ADV bike in general.

Besides the DesertX’s exceptional performance and feel, I was thoroughly impressed with the six different ride modes and the ability to fine-tune them. I was able to change the bike’s characteristics so much that it felt like riding a few different bikes. That versatility is ideal and welcome for the varying terrain and conditions encountered when you’re ADVing in the real world. Another benefit of this adjustability is that the DesertX is rideable and enjoyable for less experienced and skilled riders. Being able to go from business to party mode with a few button pushes makes the bike better for everyone.

The $17,095 MSRP reflects the bike’s premium performance, components, and overall quality. It costs a bit more than its competitors in the middleweight ADV segment, but as with most things in life, the better things are not usually cheap.

For Ducati’s first full-fledged ADV bike, I think they nailed it. Azzeccato indeed Ducati, azzeccato.

2023 DucatiDesertX First Ride end

Ducati.com

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE HOT ADV BIKES IN 2022-2023

Ed Subias portraitEd Subias is a lifelong pursuer of “doing it in the dirt” as he grew up riding and racing dirt bikes in Southern California. As a motorcycle media veteran, Ed has been fortunate to have ridden every type of motorcycle imaginable. After a time away from off-road motorcycles, he returned to his dirt roots after picking up a few dual-sports a few of years ago. He currently contributes to various motorcycle media outlets and is always hunting for scenic trails and great tacos. Instagram: @edsubias

View the full article