IGNORED

Low Beam Question

Skywagon

Had to have bike inspected and registered. When they did the safety inspection I noticed the black coating on the low beam looked like it was flaking off. Everything works. The bulb has roughly 15,000 miles. Is that flaking cause for alarm or should I just keep riding it until it pops. 

Thanks

11 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Had to have bike inspected and registered. When they did the safety inspection I noticed the black coating on the low beam looked like it was flaking off. Everything works. The bulb has roughly 15,000 miles. Is that flaking cause for alarm or should I just keep riding it until it pops. 

Thanks

Morning David

Not a big cause for alarm, that black coating is to prevent a light "hot spot" coming out of the bulb.  This is not a heat thing but is a light emitting thing. 

It won't cause any real issues but personally I don't like any of that black coating laying on the reflector reflective coating. So if no black stuff on the reflector then not a big deal. If you have black flakes on the reflector coating then you might want to address that.  

I'm not exactly sure it would hurt anything but personally I don't like to take the chance that it could stain the reflector given enough time. 

DR.. I just checked the reflector cavity and didn't see anything.  I pumped some low pressure air (5PSI) to blow it out just in case.  Didn't see any movement.  I only have one of the bulbs left your recommended years ago.  It has one of those in it now so hate to just change it if not needed.

IMG_4136.JPG

21 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

DR.. I just checked the reflector cavity and didn't see anything.  I pumped some low pressure air (5PSI) to blow it out just in case.  Didn't see any movement.  I only have one of the bulbs left your recommended years ago.  It has one of those in it now so hate to just change it if not needed.

Afternoon David

Yes, you want to cherish that bulb as the originals are not made any longer. There is a replacement being produced by another source but the price is very high for a simple H-7 bulb.   

David,

You might consider an LED bulb and put that OSRAM on the mantlepiece while it still glows.

I have a pair of these on the way:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B3D5JQHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Less heat and more light than halogens.

CANbus compatible, H7, plug and play (just like replacing a bulb), 11,000 lumens per bulb "advertised" (two in the box so you'll have a backup),  6000K WHITE light, fan cooled, final cost with CC coupon is less than $15 per bulb.  Delivered.  

The OSRAM 55W is at best 1,595 LM (29 LM/W)

Lowndes...thanks...When you get them in and working shoot a couple of pictures.  I'm always concerned about heat and that $$$$$precious BMW headlight housing.  I never ride at night so my lights are only for me to be seen.  I guess brighter is better, but if too bright and you annoy these rednecks in Houston you might get shot.  Waking up the drunks on the road here can be hazardous.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Lowndes...thanks...When you get them in and working shoot a couple of pictures.  I'm always concerned about heat and that $$$$$precious BMW headlight housing.  I never ride at night so my lights are only for me to be seen.  I guess brighter is better, but if too bright and you annoy these rednecks in Houston you might get shot.  Waking up the drunks on the road here can be hazardous.

My  Cyclops H7 LEDS, while not as inexpensive as Lowndes' great buy, have been trouble-free for 3 years.  - 4800 Lumens  with color 5700 

Pic shows low beam at 50'.  I've only had one driver flash his lights, but then Orygun folks are nice 

ss cyclops 50'.JPG

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • 3 months later...
Mike the Ghoul

Lowndes, what is your impression of the bulbs? I bought them but haven't install them yet. Thanks in advance.

Mike