IGNORED

Been gone for a while but I'm back again.

Melty

I just traded my '14 GS and "09 RT for a 2023 RT. Alpine white with Premium Pkg. 

Now the accessory search begins. Looking at tip over protection. I had cylinder head protection bars on my '09 and will add the rear bag guards this time, probably Ilium. Also bar backs, probably Ilium there also.

Looking for a windscreen, Tank bag (likely Ring mount), and some smaller items that I have now, but won't swap over.

Can't locate a passenger backrest for this bike. I have a GIVI for travel use but would like something for my Bride to use on day trips. All the searches keep coming up with the Harley or Japanese cruiser stuff or Driver systems (Bakup, Mustang etc,)

Ideally it would be easily removed and not interfere with the GIVI top case.  

Anyone have success or a suggestion?

TIA

Motorhead1977

Melty, do a search for Daniel Usack and DUsaksalesandservice. Dan was making a stand alone (use without a top box) backrest set up for these bikes a few years ago and I got one for my'18 RT. It was an excellent item. My wife loved it so much I modified it to fit my'20 RS and we have it on that bike full time. (sold the RT) Don't know if he's still selling them but his email address was: dusaksalesandservice@gmail.com

Enjoy your RT.

• Thanks 1

Melty - WELCOME BACK!!

Don't know about all that other stuff but for a tank bag, GIVI makes the best release system out there.  And very good tank bags, too.  Had a Cortec but it was a certified pain to remount, plus it took up a LOT of room inside the tank bag.  The GIVI system is a breeze to use

Be careful ordering the GIVI bag and mounting kit.  Get the kit specifically for your bike.  It would include 1) the bag itself, 2) the black plastic mounting ring with cutout and bolt holes for YOUR gas cap, and 3) a steel "C" ring with the correct holes and screws to hold the (#2) mounting ring to the tank.  GIVI does NOT make it clear or easy to figure out if you want to buy individual components.

Pictures.  We need pictures.

• Plus 1 1

ilium works for the drop bars to protect the Shift Cam motor and also the side cases.   On the ilium works web site, there is a video of John dropping an RT on purpose.  I can attest to real world experience for their products, at least 5 times, but who is counting?  :facepalm:

The tank bag I use is SW Motech City Bag.  Handle bar clearance is fine, although the tank bag comes extremely close to the on/off switch for LED auxiliary lights, but does not press the button.  Quick release for fuleing.

Plus 1 on the ilium works bar backs.  I rented their tool for installation

• Plus 1 3

Thanks for all the suggestions! The anticipated arrival date is mid-February as of last update. I intend to swap over the SWMototech bag from my GS, HID auxiliary lights from the RT And Sargeant seats from both to sell.

Being in central Minnesota and currently single digits, I will fire up the garage furnace, once the temperature differential is lower.

I did contact the owner of Pirates Lair for a stand-alone backrest. He has no interest in building one and will be retiring soon, He did mention the Bakup, but there isn't a listing for one (yet?)

• 1 month later...

I see that Sargent seats now have a passenger backrest available for their seat!! 

I know that an RDL is more comfortable, butt also a lot more $$ and having used 4 Sargent seats on previous BMW motorbikes I have placed an order for a heated version.

I would suggest calling the order in and asking for Dane. I received a discount that was even better than the advertised Presidents Day sale that was in effect at the time.

My bike has arrived at the dealer, and they have trailered my trades to the dealership. Soon the UPS delivery and I will be on a first name basis and wrenches will be turning!!

I will have a few items listed in the For Sale section soon.

Melty,

I bought a Pirates Lair backrest used on this site years ago. Using it on my Daytona trip and leaving tomorrow. I also just ordered an OEM top box. I’m thinking I might sell the backrest at a later date if the top box works well for me. Keep me in mind if you don’t find what you’re looking for. It will not work with top box mounted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rinkydink! I'll keep it in mind. I do have a Givi Monokey that I can mount if needed. But now that my seat can be equipped with a Spousal Unit Retention and Comfort device, That question appears to be answered for now.

• 1 month later...

Finally I've been able to put a few miles on between snow events here in central Minnesota! I've discovered a few things about this motorcycle that I like and a few that could be better.

The TFT screen and menu are less than intuitive at first, it took 30 minutes with the manual to find out how many miles I had put on it and how much fuel remained.

The Nav system is not as good as even the poorest GPS I've owned, so I will be adding a GPS unit. Not many aftermarket people seem to know that there is a tubular handlebar option. which has made locating the parts needed to move the bars up and back challenging. I am waiting for a call back from Touratech to discuss that subject.

I started to install the Ilium tip over protection today, since it's snowing again. Maybe some of you don't know that they have moved to Arizona under new ownership. The engine guards they sent don't fit with the crossbar that's used. They asked me to send them back so that the engine guard opening could be reamed out to the correct size. They currently don't have either silver or black in stock. So currently much of the body work is off and one guard is installed waiting for a call back hopefully with a solution.

The Sargent seat is comfortable and plugs directly into the BMW wiring for heat, no re-wiring needed! However sadly , the tool tube is no longer offered, so all my emergency tools will take up space in one saddlebag, I may have to change my mind on installing the GIVI top case for longer trips and of course that doesn't work with the Sargent passenger backrest.

Overall LOVE this motorcycle!! Best handling bike I have ever owned.