IGNORED

Opinions on replacing the 5 inch with 5.5 inch rear wheel

legrena

I feel the need to replace my stock rear wheel with the 5.5 rim from BMW. The cost is a bit silly, but I feel the geometry will allow me to make better use of the additional rubber. On my 955 Triumph Daytona I run a 200 in the rear and use all of it - so when I'm on my RT, the lean angle feels a bit awkward to me since I can feel the smaller rear. Has anyone done this or am I simply wasting time and money?

ShovelStrokeEd

The difference in traction will be minimal at best. 170-60 tire on your 5" wheel vs a 180-55 on the 5.5". Steering will remain more or less the same as the tire profile is nearly identical between the sizes. Going to a 190 on the 5.5" wheel will slow the steering and could make the bike a bit funky handling as well.

If you already have premium shocks on your bike spend the money on a set of light weight wheels and then go with the 5.5"/180 tire if you must. If not, spend the money on shocks.

FWIW, I had a 170-60 rear tire on the back of my 1100SBX (5.5" rear wheel) and was able to lean it far enough to touch down a valve cover. That bike has a good deal more lean potential than an RT due to taller shocks and different peg location. The RT lacks enough power to really need the traction under acceleration out of a turn unless you really get stupid with the throttle in the lower gears.

Personal opinion, you're wasting your money. For one thing, if you have the stock exhaust, you run the risk of introducing clearance issues. It's pretty close with the standard tire size already.

IMHO the handling of the R1150RT can be better improved with suspension upgrades.

And learning to ride it to corner faster while leaning less. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the info. I've decided that the wider rear was not the best mod for the money. Instead, I opted to swap out the stock pipe for a Two Brothers titanium round one as well as either a Power Commander or the Teclusion FI controller. Waiting on final option between the two fi controllers.

DavidEBSmith

Instead, I opted to swap out the stock pipe for a Two Brothers titanium round one

Well, you'll sound faster, anyway.

as well as either a Power Commander or the Teclusion FI controller. Waiting on final option between the two fi controllers.

What are you hoping that an FI controller will do for you?

Archived