IGNORED

New R1200ST!

grasslander

grasslander

Traded my 04 K1200GT for this great little machine. Silver and Sidney Blue. Bought the bags and box for the wife. She really liked the GT but "I just feel like I'm part of it and it's really fun", she says. Non ABS 05 R1200ST.

This is what a motorcycle should be like! Looks right at home sitting next to my ol' 77RS thumbsup.gif

693885-05ST.jpg.70d9e64131ab760eff16a8b4e70887b8.jpg

Firefight911

Hot damn! Congratulations on being the latest discoverer of one of BMW's finest!

My wife just loves ours as well. Let alone how I feel about it!

You haven't experienced anything yet! Just wait until after the 600 miler is done. With EVERY mile, she justs gets smoother and smoother!! And the bike gets smoother, too!!! eek.gif

Congratulations! Pictures? thumbsup.gifclap.gif

You haven't experienced anything yet! Just wait until after the 600 miler is done.
+1

I just got my GS back today from its 600 mile service. They did a TBS and it made a WORLD of difference - much smoother @ >4k RPMs.

If you do the break-in per BMW's recommendations, that first 600 miles is a b*tch. tongue.gif

Jim congrats and welcome aboard. I picked up mine on 15 April (traded in my 02 R1150R) and just hit 1500 miles. I've got it set up with GPS/XM/V1 and the Verholen bar backs. You'll love this bike. Only 20 lbs lighter, but it feels so much more nimble than the RR. The difference vs the GT must be huge. I actually walked into the dealer looking for a lefotver GT and next thing I know I'm plunking down my Amex for the ST.

Good luck and make sure you ask for help if you need any advice with accessories, electrics, etc. I've gotten a hell of a lot of good advice here and other forums.

thumbsup.gif

NakedRider

Welcome to the group of riders that "gets it".

This is a terrific bike that only those that ride it seem to understand.

Congratulations on your new ST. You will love it. I have the Dark Graphite/Syndney Blue with 5600 miles on it. It is running better with every mile. Did 800 miles on it over the Memorial Day weekend when we went to the BMW rally in Cass, WV.

Dave Grinsel

Congratulations. You will love the bike. I just returned from a 2600 mile trip to NE Arkansas, and the bike performed beautifully. I now have 14,500 miles with no problems. By the way, I also have the top box and my wife loves the back rest.

Congratulations! Hope you don't get your ticket punched. These bikes are awsome and really really hard to drive legal; they just gooo so fine. I picked mine up in mid April; over 4k and having a blast.

R1200St clap.gif

sardineone

Welcome to the group of riders that "gets it".

As the quote says, welcome Jim to our growing group of BMW aficionado's. I'm glad everyone has been very cordial to you as a new R1200ST owner. I must butt in though as nobody has warned you about your new machine yet! A common problem with this model especially after the 600 mile service has surfaced on mine and others on this board. The darn thing turns into a Beast over 6K rpms. I just though you ought to know. smile.gif

You got the color I was initially after. Good choice. I settled on the the dark over light gray combination to get the ESA on mine. I've been happy enough with this color scheme after seeing it in person. Anyway good luck and many happy miles on yours!

progress49

Hi Tony,

I made the same change recently, an 2002 RR for the ST, it's a great bike. I'm putting Wilburs on it this week. I'm curious how and where did you set up your GPS? I'm still trying to decide where to mount my 2610. It would be good to use on the trip to Idaho.

grasslander

Thanks for the great comments. I think this ST is a real sleeper.

I picked up mine on 15 April (traded in my 02 R1150R) and just hit 1500 miles. I've got it set up with GPS/XM/V1 and the Verholen bar backs. You'll love this bike. Only 20 lbs lighter, but it feels so much more nimble than the RR. The difference vs the GT must be huge. I actually walked into the dealer looking for a lefotver GT and next thing I know I'm plunking down my Amex for the ST.

About 100lbs lighter with the system cases! Feels like a motorcycle should feel... Thanks for the offer of info I'll take you up on that and hope I can give back. Soon I'll post a pic with the bags and top box installed.

Funny, every non-bmw rider I've come accross thinks it's an absolutely beautiful machine (from all the angles).

sardineone

Funny, every non-bmw rider I've come accross thinks it's an absolutely beautiful machine (from all the angles).

That's because it is! thumbsup.gif

I'm having the same reaction to my ST as well.

1hawkrider

Welcome and congrats! It is THE finest bike on the planet! "The other woman" as my wife calls it.

Lou.

Bill Murray

grasslander,

Congratulations on your purchase of an R12ST. thumbsup.gif It's a great bike. I also recently made the move from a K12GT ('03 version). I hope you will enjoy the ST as much as I have been.

Hi Tony,

I made the same change recently, an 2002 RR for the ST, it's a great bike. I'm putting Wilburs on it this week. I'm curious how and where did you set up your GPS? I'm still trying to decide where to mount my 2610. It would be good to use on the trip to Idaho.

progress49, the best solution I found (and I did a lot of research) was to go with a mount from "The Gadget Guy". His name is Genna and he sells custom mounting kits for all kinds of bikes.

Gadget Guy

He has a kit for the ST, check out his Gallery for pics. If you DO NOT have the Verholen bar risers on your ST, the kit you see pictured will be fine as is. If you have the Verholens (as I do), you can use the ST kit but you'll have to make a very minor switch - not a problem at all really. His set up provides an aluminum bar that runs cross wise over the clamp. You simply mount your gadgets to that bar with several different types of "Base Plates" he sells. Many of them are customized for different items from Garmin. I've got my GPS and XM mounted to the bar. You can also see I've got the V1 and my EZ Pass toll tag mounted to the reservoir covers (with 3M Dual Lock). That stuff is like Velcro but with a super solid connection that doesn't budge. Holds tighter than a clam's ass.

70831606-M.jpg

I've got the audio routed to a little black splitter box I Dual locked under the right fairing (with the little audio plug showing). When I climb aboard, I simply plug in the umbilical and the cable goes up to my Etymotic ER-6i's.

For electrical connections I had Jim Davis at Eastern Beaver in Japan build me a custom wiring harness that I wired directly into the battery to avoid f*cking up the CAN BUS system.

Easternbeaver.com

All the wiring is either heat shrink-wrapped or hidden in spiral conduits. Very slick if I say so myself.

Any of you guys feel free to PM with questions.

My layout is similar to Tony's. Gadget Guy set up TT GPS mount

Ram ball mount for the radar detector and cover and that was where I mounted the XM antenna for the 376. I feed the audio's plus and Ipod in my tank bag through a mixit that fits between the tankbag and the tank protector on the bag. I put my SunPass in the map pocket of the tank bag

74002751-M.jpg

progress49

[progress49, the best solution I found (and I did a lot of research) was to go with a mount from "The Gadget Guy". His name is Genna and he sells custom mounting kits for all kinds of bikes.

Looks great! I had the the shocks installed yesterday and ran the wire to the battery while the plastic was off. I'm going to try the ram mount under the mirror stem to get the GPS up higher, I'll post how it works out. The shocks feel promising. clap.gif

NakedRider
[progress49, the best solution I found (and I did a lot of research) was to go with a mount from "The Gadget Guy". His name is Genna and he sells custom mounting kits for all kinds of bikes.

Looks great! I had the the shocks installed yesterday and ran the wire to the battery while the plastic was off. I'm going to try the ram mount under the mirror stem to get the GPS up higher, I'll post how it works out. The shocks feel promising. clap.gif

You'll love the Wilbers. Best thing I did for my ST. Finally you can adjust the front. thumbsup.gif

Jim congrats and welcome aboard. I picked up mine on 15 April

I picked mine up the same day. I've got over 1800 miles on it already, though I lost a few days to a flat tire and a week to back problems.

I've got GPS on mine and Throttlemeister along with all the bags. Later this summer I'm planning on adding Ohlins front/rear.

I traded in my Ducati for it and I have to say I like it better than anything I've ridden before and like it more everytime I ride it.

I bought mine at 4500miles, put 2000 on it over the winter, and since the start of 2006, 3400

It's about to hit the 10,000 mile mark. grin.gif

OK, here's mine, pic taken this past weekend at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ. I just bolted on the BMW cylinder guards earlier this evening. Waiting for delivery of a custom harness/relay kit from Eastern Beaver so I can install a set of full-time red LED's on the back of the bike (and maybe a set of aux lights).

74335775-M.jpg

If the '07 models are again available in Dark Graphite/Piedmont Blue, I'm sooooooo there.

That was my first choice, but I think steve took the one in Chicago. that little.. oh er sorry tongue.gif When I went up to Columbus to just "look", yea that went well. grin.gif They had the one I bought tongue.gif and a silver/blue, silver/red, and grey/black. I was actually looking at the grey/black, but I didn't appeal to me as much in person.

I still love the white over blue, but the charcoal over granite gray is a classy looking Beemer. See attachment.

749773710_697960-STontheMove4-23-06Sm.JPG.816bbca0ed87c7d63487254042f1e032.JPG

"D@mn that thing will go, even comparred to my 12GS!"

Yup - pretty impressive as to what happens after you pass 6k on the tach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm just test driving R1200ST for two weeks. I'm just wondering if it is normal that bike vibrates quite badly around 120km/h speeds, thats about 75mph.

I used to have R1150RT and it did not vibrate at all until 180km/h, so compared to that R1200ST is worse and it should have balancing shafts and so on...

so you who own ST, please tell me how's the vibration :-)

duckbubbles

Kukari,

There may be something wrong with that bike, maybe throttle body synch. When I first got my ST, many times I would be going down the road, fat, dumb and happy and then notice the gear indicator said "4". So quiet and smooth I didn't know and much better than the 1100S I had before.

Frank

Hi!

I'm just test driving R1200ST for two weeks. I'm just wondering if it is normal that bike vibrates quite badly around 120km/h speeds, thats about 75mph.

I used to have R1150RT and it did not vibrate at all until 180km/h, so compared to that R1200ST is worse and it should have balancing shafts and so on...

How many miles on the ST? Could be the t.body sync, maybe a wheel is out of balance ( lost a weight or out of balance from the get go ). If the valves are waayyyyy out of adjustment, that could contribute a bit too.

Because of the counter-balancers, this bike should be a whole lot smoother than your 1150rt of the past

I test rode the one at tri-state 5 times!

I felt bad about my addiction after a while so I filled it up with gas on the last demo ride, hehe.

I'm just test driving R1200ST for two weeks

Now that's not natural and so is bad vibes at 75mph.

wave.gif75 to 80 is where I'd like to tour at on mine. I'd also vote to have the throttle body sync'd along with a general tune-up.

Hi!

There are two things that a likely to cause bad vibes on a boxer engine. 1, out of synch throttles, 2 too much oil (the crank hits the ois surface)

No 2 will 'fix' itself fairly soon as it throws oil out the breather so my money is on 1.

Dealers only have a fixed time to do the synch and so get it 'in-spec' - that spec it IMHO too wide and allows a fairly rough engine. When the home mechanic does it you can get it 'spot-on' making for creamy smooth running and better fuel mileage.

Andy thumbsup.gif

And Kukari

Who let's you "test Ride" an ST for two weeks?????

Frank

a good dealer :-).

well, It's little complicated thing to explain, but they gave me brand new R1200ST for two weeks, after which I can buy it or not.

It has no 550km on the clock and I think it's little bit better, but still not what I was expecting... so maybe it's out of sync. Thanx for responses!

Archived