IGNORED

Bike Week and Beyond

Rinkydink

Headed to the Daytona short-track doubleheader for the start of the 2023 AFT season March 9-10. Wanting to head north from there. Kind of early in the season to hit New England proper but wanting to attempt to see the Outer Banks and Kill Devil Hills area. Mapquest shows closed roads in Okracoke/Hatteras or north of there. Any locals that can attest that they still have damage from the last hurricane in this area and that it is passable or not? All ferries of course are up and running. 

If weather permits we’d like to do the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel and another ferry. Then onto Skyline Drive, and the Maggie Valley museum. TOTD/Cherahola is something my riding partner has never done so that is on the weekday agenda. Finish up through the Smokies area. Hope it warms up early this Spring!!

5 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

If weather permits we’d like to do the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel and another ferry. Then onto Skyline Drive, and the Maggie Valley museum. TOTD/Cherahola is something my riding partner has never done so that is on the weekday agenda. Finish up through the Smokies area. Hope it warms up early this Spring!!

Weather can be iffy mid/late March in the mountains, no way to predict really. Could be cold, wet, or nice and sunny. I'd go for it but keep your options open, Maggie Valley and TOTD should be doable but the Parkway (could still be closed altho probably not by then) and the Skyway might be a 'day of' decision like anything at elevation.

RE: Skyline Drive, while it's nice it's also slow going (35mph limit) and meandering, I’d prefer any of the small two lanes parallel to and west of I-8I especially if you want to make any kind of time. Hwy. 33 is a good way to get over to them.

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If weather permits us to take the Chesapeake bay tunnel/bridge which I know is doubtful even with climate change😳 Is there a ferry that runs west from Cape Charles or any points north?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 8:27 PM, Rinkydink said:

Mapquest shows closed roads in Okracoke/Hatteras or north of there. Any locals that can attest that they still have damage from the last hurricane in this area and that it is passable or not? All ferries of course are up and running. 

This is a bit late,but Facebook has a page dedicated to that section of Hwy 12 NC at , NCDOT NC 12,they usually have current pictures of the bad spots also

• Thanks 1