IGNORED

New to me 06 RT

Woodchips

Good evening all

After 12 years and over 150k on two RT1100’s I have finally moved up to a 06 RT1200. With just 35k on the clock I hope to caulk up many more K’s and smiles. I have been browsing the site for any information I can learn about potential issues in the electronics. I did all the maintenance on the 1100’s where my ability was limited to the mechanical and minor electrical problems, but the Can-bus system and related systems are beyond this senior rider.

My question is, should I be looking at purchasing a GS 911?

Ron in Calgary

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Woodchips said:

Good evening all

After 12 years and over 150k on two RT1100’s I have finally moved up to a 06 RT1200. With just 35k on the clock I hope to caulk up many more K’s and smiles. I have been browsing the site for any information I can learn about potential issues in the electronics. I did all the maintenance on the 1100’s where my ability was limited to the mechanical and minor electrical problems, but the Can-bus system and related systems are beyond this senior rider.

My question is, should I be looking at purchasing a GS 911?

Ron in Calgary

Morning Ron

A GS-911 is a value-added tool to own. You can live without one but when something goes wrong with, or related to, the engine controls or chassis electronics a GS-911 can help with the diagnosis. 

Things like re-setting your dash service warning at every oil change (or resetting it to higher mileage between services) can be handled at home. 

The GS-911 can also be used to reset turn signal auto cancel distances, can be used to trap engine sensor data & engine control data  while actually riding the motorcycle,  then viewed when you return home, it has many more uses.

A GS-911 is an asset but you still need to understand system functions & system operation as it wont give you a repair procedure, it is basically just another tool in your tool box.

Even if you can't, or don't, understand the trapped data that the GS-911 traps, that data is easily outputted in Microsoft Excel form so you can then send it to some of us on this (or other)  sites to evaluate it for you.   

Here is the GS-911 forum,     http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/          just go over there & look around to see what is available, how riders are using the GS-911, what some have found while using it, how is has assisted in finding problems. 

You can also use moto-scan but it may not give the full translated codes.  Android device is needed.

So far, 150k on my 06rt, I've never had a need to plug up and read codes.   

I've only had one electronic issue and that was easily troubleshot (fuel thingy on top of the fuel pump).  Other than that, my few issues have been mechanical.

I've got motoscan and the only thing I've ever done was reset stoopid service lights on the RR and GSA

I have a GS-911, but I've not really needed it. I bought it so I could reset the service reminder my new-to-me '06 RT.  I discovered that BMW did not add the service reminder until 2008 (I think), so there was nothing to reset. My yellow USB GS-911 has not let me change any of the default settings - I think I've played with all the options, but I've not seen anything that would change turn signal time/distance, or any other bike computer settings other than maybe resetting fuel adaptations (which the bike will do on its own).  I still plug it in occasionally to check for error codes, but it has never told me anything I did not know already.

19 minutes ago, lkraus said:

I have a GS-911, but I've not really needed it. I bought it so I could reset the service reminder my new-to-me '06 RT.  I discovered that BMW did not add the service reminder until 2008 (I think), so there was nothing to reset. My yellow USB GS-911 has not let me change any of the default settings - I think I've played with all the options, but I've not seen anything that would change turn signal time/distance, or any other bike computer settings other than maybe resetting fuel adaptations (which the bike will do on its own).  I still plug it in occasionally to check for error codes, but it has never told me anything I did not know already.

Morning Larry

Have you updated your old GS-911 to latest firmware? If not then try that. The newer red WiFi GS-9-11's have a lot more functions. 

Even my new (latest updated version) GS-911 picks up a new function or two with every new firmware update. 

This isn't a Hijack as this info will be helpful to the OP when (or if)  choosing a GS-911 for his motorcycle.  

8 hours ago, Woodchips said:

. "I have been browsing the site for any information I can learn about potential issues in the electronics".

Morning Ron

I forgot to address this in the above post__ 

If you haven't done it yet you really should check your throttle body cams (pully's) for cracking. This a common & somewhat serious problem on the BMW 1200 motorcycles as once the cracks get big enough they will break apart & leave you with no engine power so it tuns into a basic walk-home issue. 

You need to check this every so often before the problem leaves you stranded far from home.

You need to access the throttle bodies, then slide the plastic cover up the cable then use a bright light & mirror to see the throttle cams.  

qt04LrO.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Dirt rider,  I hope to put a few K’s on the 1200 as soon as the 2ft of snow melt.Meantime, I will continue to learn as much as I can about the known issues associated with it.

I’m also going to look for a used GS911, new in Canada they are very expensive.

Ron

On 1/16/2023 at 10:02 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning Larry

Have you updated your old GS-911 to latest firmware? If not then try that. The newer red WiFi GS-9-11's have a lot more functions. 

Even my new (latest updated version) GS-911 picks up a new function or two with every new firmware update. 

This isn't a Hijack as this info will be helpful to the OP when (or if)  choosing a GS-911 for his motorcycle.  

I have the older yellow USB-only version.  I update the firmware just about every time I use it, but that is only once or twice a year.  Updated it again yesterday just to see if there is anything new, but I don't see any useful changes.  There is a new menu item called "Coding", but selecting it just generates an error:

image.png.88ffa87f957c354c2012c77e608aa11f.png

I suspect Hexcode puts most of their efforts into the newer bikes rather than models that are 18 years old.

• 2 months later...

I don't mean to hijack this thread and like woodchips, just upgraded to an 06 R1200RT after owning an 03 R1150 RT for the past 13 years.  My 03 was always good to me and I am hoping the 06 will prove to be the same.  My initial (limited) research before purchasing suggested that the next generation model was just as reliable as the previous and with the difference on trade, I just jumped at it. 

Woodchips, thank you for this thread.