IGNORED

Jack Point to lift rear

narcosis

I'd like to remove my rear tire while it's on a lift and not on the center stand.  So, I need to jack the rear end up slightly.  Is there a good location to position the jack?  And yes, I know it's easy to remove the rear tire while the bike is on the floor and up on the center stand.  I have a reason for wanting to do what I asked.  Thanks all!

2 hours ago, reg26 said:

Here is how I did mine on lift. Just use center stand 

F07AFA1F-F2BC-42F9-BE43-CF5D7CBA841B.jpeg

001B18FE-2744-4E19-835A-2895C61316BA.jpeg

I've got to ask, did you read the original post to the end?

Yes I did and he said it's easy to do on center stand but he was asking about a jack so he could use on a lift. I thought maybe he did not think about using center stand while on the lift. So I sent a picture to try and help / explain. Is there a problem with this?

1 hour ago, reg26 said:

Yes I did and he said it's easy to do on center stand but he was asking about a jack so he could use on a lift. I thought maybe he did not think about using center stand while on the lift. So I sent a picture to try and help / explain. Is there a problem with this?

reg26  I got why you posted with pics and considered this option first.  My fear was bringing the bike down off the center stand when I was finished.  I wanted a more controlled method.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, reg26 said:

I just find it humorous when someone asks about an alternative method to an activity, specifically mentions that they know it can be done in a traditional way but absolutely doesn't want to do it that way, and then someone posts to do it that way anyway. No offense intended, just my humor not coming thru quite as it was meant.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
21 minutes ago, narcosis said:

reg26  I got why you posted with pics and considered this option first.  My fear was bringing the bike down off the center stand when I was finished.  I wanted a more controlled method.

Yes I was concerned about that also but was easier than I thought. Worst nightmare is bike falling. I did have a friend stand on other side of bike just in case lol. Good luck to you. 

Tie down the front, scissors jack under the engine with a scrap of plywood to cushion the oil pan.

Jack under the swingarm seems like something I've done, but I can't remember why...

Maybe that time I used a too-tall bottle jack?

For future reference/readers, if you already have it on the lift and in the wheel chock, you can jack up the back end (I agree that it's easiest under the swingarm, which is the same way weight is carried when the wheel is on the ground) and then deploy the center stand. That way you can get the jack out of the way while you're working on the back - very helpful if you want to, say, remove the swingarm. It shouldn't really matter if you have the bike in the chock, but I still make sure to strap the center stand forward to the front wheel, just to make sure it can't be accidentally retracted. 

Probably obvious, but just reverse the steps to put the rear wheel back on the bike and then back on the ground. 

• Like 1

Your method of jacking it up and deploying the center stand is what I thought of also when the op mentioned the trepidation of using the center stand.