IGNORED

2009 RT Tail/Brake Light Bulb? LED?

KetoSoi

Hi Guys,

The manual indicates a P21W, which to my understanding is a single filament bulb. Based on that, I believe that a 1156 bulb is the equivalent, with the nubs being in the same place, etc. Anyone know if that is correct?

Second thing, has anyone found an LED version that works for tail/brake bulb in an RT without tripping the bulb-out indicator?

Thanks as always,

K

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

Hi Guys,

The manual indicates a P21W, which to my understanding is a single filament bulb. Based on that, I believe that a 1156 bulb is the equivalent, with the nubs being in the same place, etc. Anyone know if that is correct?

Second thing, has anyone found an LED version that works for tail/brake bulb in an RT without tripping the bulb-out indicator?

Thanks as always,

K

Evening  KetoSoi

You can use an 1156 but the 1156 wattage is usually rated as being higher. Probably won't effect the light-out warning or effect the computer but keep in mind that the tail light intensity is pulse-width-modulated to about 8 volts (based on the 21 watt nominal OEM bulb) & that won't be the same with a higher wattage bulb.  There might be no noticeable difference but it also could be.

In the olden days a 21 watt was difficult to source but with all the European vehicles now in service a 21 watt taillight bulb is usually only a dollar or two more than the 1156. 

On swapping to an LED on the rear__  That can be done but it can be a challenge as you not only need to worry about  the light-out warning but there are other concerns. 

Like finding an LED that lights to proper brightness at pulse width modulated  partial voltage & that the LED light output is coming out of the bulb in the proper direction for the mounting direction of the bulb (some LED bulbs are very directional based on mounting angle). You also need to keep LED light color in mind as a red lens will block some of the LED light output if the LED light color doesn't properly match the lens color.

There are LED tail light bulbs  that have have built in resistors to keep the light-out warning happy so that is a first step but do keep the other things in mind when shopping for an LED tail light bulb for the 1200RT.  

Thanks DR :)

I've been able to upgrade the entire bikes various bulbs to LED, except the tail/brake lights. Had a bit of trial and error on all the other bulbs, but eventually found ones that would work. Going to try with the tail/brake bulbs again, see if I can find one that will cooperate with the CANBUS properly.

K

17 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

Thanks DR :)

I've been able to upgrade the entire bikes various bulbs to LED, except the tail/brake lights. Had a bit of trial and error on all the other bulbs, but eventually found ones that would work. Going to try with the tail/brake bulbs again, see if I can find one that will cooperate with the CANBUS properly.

K

Afternoon  KetoSoi

The CanBus really has nothing to do with what bulb will work be it conventional or LED. The only way the CanBus interfaces with the rear light is that the dash light-out warning  goes out over the CAN between the ZFE module & dash. 

The bulb has to make the ZFE happy as that is what controls & monitors the rear light. 

I meant CANBUS in a broad/general/slang sense ;) The 'system' looking for voltage/load within a given range. LED draw can be notably less, throwing the 'system' for a loop :D

K