IGNORED

2006 1200 rt. Heated seat connector wire broken

christianf

This is new, used bike that I just purchased. It has custom seats with heated connections. The previous owner told me that the wiring broke when he removed the seat previously.  The whole wiring must have been tampered with or the original wiring was not very resistant. Wires are loose, not sure if it’s the manufacturer install. Anyway I have to either change the ripped wires or the connector to which they were connected. I tried to remove the sockets inside the connectors but I did not succeed. What would be the best fix for the repair? 
‘thanks for any recommendation.

Best wishes for the new year and happy holidays to all

Chris

41A5CB7F-51AF-4220-B7A5-E3944106FD73.jpeg

4CDD3576-F166-4D6C-9710-6AB0F1BB94D0.jpeg

The Rocketman

Easiest and cheapest way is to head to the local auto parts store, pick up a pair of SAE connectors, cut the ends off what you have, and solder/heat shrink tube these on. Just keep the polarity the same. There are prettier ways using waterproof Deutsch connectors or expensive OEM plugs, but the SAE should work just fine.

sae.jpg

12 hours ago, christianf said:

This is new, used bike that I just purchased. It has custom seats with heated connections. The previous owner told me that the wiring broke when he removed the seat previously.  The whole wiring must have been tampered with or the original wiring was not very resistant. Wires are loose, not sure if it’s the manufacturer install. Anyway I have to either change the ripped wires or the connector to which they were connected. I tried to remove the sockets inside the connectors but I did not succeed. What would be the best fix for the repair? 
‘thanks for any recommendation.

Best wishes for the new year and happy holidays to all

Chris

Morning  christianf 

That's what usually happens when someone completely removes the seat without disconnecting the wire pigtail first. 

I presume that is the front seat pigtail between the motorcycle harness & the seat connector??  If so you can buy a new pigtail from BMW for about $37.00.

Or, if you are good at precision soldering then yours can be re-soldered & repaired. For proper polarity on the repair the  #1 terminal=  brown wire     &   #2 terminal=  violet/black wire. (the back of the connector is marked 1 & 2)

Those terminals can be carefully removed from the connector with the correct terminal pick, an understanding on how to remove small terminals, & patience. 

Dont feel too bad.  When my 2014 was new, I was removing the front seat.  I knew the connector was there.  While disconnecting the wire I dropped the seat and ruined the connector.  I went to the dealer, and they couldn't figure out the right connector/wire to buy.  They had some electrical connector diagrams, but it was unclear which one.  They started ordering what they thought was right.  I think it was about the 5th order before the got it right.  I cut the wires, spliced in the new one with an extra length wire in case I stupidly do it again.  I don't care for the BMW connectors on the seat.  If I had it to do over again, I would buy something locally that was waterproof and go with it.  The SAE connector posted above is not waterproof.  If you go that way you may want to tape it up.