IGNORED

2007 RT which ABS do I have?

Dave P

Ive got an 07 RT with a brake malfunction light on. A friend suggests its the servo motor having problems. It sounds like 2007 was a system change year. How do I know what ABS system Ive got? Confirm with the VIN or hardware identification? Thanks, Dave

The R1200RT only used the servo ABS system (aka IABS III) for 2005 and 2006, so you cannot have a servo problem. BMW names for the ABS are confusing to me, but I think the official name for your system is Integral ABS generation II.

Ikraus- I was confused cause I heard that early 07s used the servo type ABS. When bike shopping I Was kinda steering away from the 06 and earlier ones because of the "wizzy" brakes.

The test I did was on center stand, I got the rear wheel spinning and grabbed the front brake. Rear wheel kept spinning. 

The brakes seem to function fine, but I don't think my ABS is operational. Probably need to try to diagnose what that light is all about before I start taking stuff apart. Dave

If you had servo brakes you would know it, because every time you turned on the ignition or applied the brakes while stopped you would hear the loud "whizz" of the motor.

When the servo quits working, brake effort is greatly increased. (Arghhhh, I'm gonna die!!!)

The BMW repair DVD shows the non-servo brakes were dropped on the RT starting with July, 2006 production.

Enter your VIN at https://www.mdecoder.com/ to see your production date.

49 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Ikraus- I was confused cause I heard that early 07s used the servo type ABS. When bike shopping I Was kinda steering away from the 06 and earlier ones because of the "wizzy" brakes.

The test I did was on center stand, I got the rear wheel spinning and grabbed the front brake. Rear wheel kept spinning. 

The brakes seem to function fine, but I don't think my ABS is operational. Probably need to try to diagnose what that light is all about before I start taking stuff apart. Dave

Afternoon Dave

The 2007 & up should have the I-ABS gen II system. At least  it was the I-ABS  Gen-II after start of 2007 production so possibly (not that I can confirm though) a very few very early 2007 1200RT's could have been built with the earlier I-ABS (wizzy) dual servo system.

As far as the (The test I did was on center stand, I got the rear wheel spinning and grabbed the front brake. Rear wheel kept spinning), you need to have the key turned ON  for that test to work. 

A quick test for (IF) your 1200RT has the early (wizzy) or later I-ABS gen II braking system is to get it up to about 20 mph then pull clutch lever in, then turn the key to off. NOW try braking, if it stops easily then you probably have the later I-ABS gen II braking system. (you usually know pretty fast if you have the early system as it takes a LOT more lever effort to stop without the (key-on) power assist.

You can also try (while sitting still with key-on) just pull the hand lever or press the foot pedal, if you have the early I-ABS (wizzy) servo assist system as you should be able to hear the servos run when you pull the lever or push on the pedal.   

Hi DR, the spinning rear wheel test I did was engine running, first gear, 20 mph-ish, clutch in front brake pull. Rear wheel keeps spinning.

Haven't heard any buzzing when braking.. So probably not the earlier ABS. A friend with an 08 RT said he thinks my problem is the ABS pump motor brushes getting stuck.

10 hours ago, Dave P said:

Hi DR, the spinning rear wheel test I did was engine running, first gear, 20 mph-ish, clutch in front brake pull. Rear wheel keeps spinning.

Haven't heard any buzzing when braking.. So probably not the earlier ABS. A friend with an 08 RT said he thinks my problem is the ABS pump motor brushes getting stuck.

Morning Dave

Hi DR, the spinning rear wheel test I did was engine running, first gear, 20 mph-ish, clutch in front brake pull. Rear wheel keeps spinning.---  I haven't ever tried it that way. With the rear wheel spinning that fast & the front wheel not spinning it might think rear wheel lock up & go into an ABS event. 

Try it again with key on, rear wheel off the ground & not spinning. Turn key on (do not start engine) then spin rear wheel with your foot then pull front brake lever.

If it doesn't work that way then a sticking rear servo pump motor brush just might be the issue. You might try rapping on the ABS module & servo motor with a long wooden rod & hammer. Sometimes that will jar a stuck motor brush free (sometimes but not a sure thing) 

Hi DR, thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try sometime in the next month. Not near the bike currently.

is that rear servo pump motor the component underneath the gas tank? Maybe those are the brushes that my 08 RT friend was talking about. Dave

10 hours ago, Dave P said:

Hi DR, thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try sometime in the next month. Not near the bike currently.

is that rear servo pump motor the component underneath the gas tank? Maybe those are the brushes that my 08 RT friend was talking about. Dave

Morning Dave

The rear  servo motor is part of the ABS module (ABS Pressure Modulator) assembly & that is under the fuel tank.