IGNORED

Engine Mounted Highway Pegs

bojohnson

Need opinions about engine mounted highway pegs. I've see the Elf pegs and some called Talons that bolt to the cylinder heads. It looks to me that these could damage the bike.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Need opinions about engine mounted highway pegs. I've see the Elf pegs and some called Talons that bolt to the cylinder heads. It looks to me that these could damage the bike.

Haven't seen how the Elf pegs fit on the 1200. But they work fine on my 1100RT. Had 'em for 60K miles now, no problems no engine damage, a nice change of riding position from time to time on the interstate. Obviously if I try to stand on them with all of my weight

they will rip the cooling fins right off of the valve cover, but they're fine for carrying the weight of my legs.

Have the Elf pegs on my R1200RT and am glad to have them. Be aware the mounting bolts in the kit seem to vibrate loose (not all of them and not frequently) so keep an eye out. I'm not obsessive about but if I'm peeking at the oil glass I usually check on them. Also, I didn't use a very strong loctite so could be just my bad.

I first heard about the bolts occasionally working loose from some guys on this board; went into the garage to check & sure 'nuff, two loose bolts.

That aside, it sure is nice to have them on a trip.

Mike05

ShovelStrokeEd

I doubt they will cause any damage unless, as stated, you drop the bike on them. I fail to see the need for them as my passenger pegs serve to provide me with an alternative foot position or, I'll just dangle my legs for few miles. I find the riding position afforded by highway pegs to be grossly uncomfortable but then again, I don't ride an RT anymore. I just can't see them on my 1100S or the Blackbird.

DavidEBSmith

I have dropped the bike on the Burton Briggs brackets (same mounting idea as the Talons) and didn't do any serious damage. The bracket bent at the hole for the bolt, which loosened the bolt slightly and tore the rubber grommet so that the cover didn't seat properly and I lost about a pint of oil between N. Ga. and Chicago. Replaced the rubber grommet (which is something that should be looked at any time you remove the head cover anyway, as they tend to harden and split) and removed the bracket and all was well.

I found I really didn't use the highway pegs much, either. I didn't find stretching my legs around the RT fairing to be particularly comfortable.

"I didn't find stretching my legs around the RT fairing to be particularly comfortable."

I agree. I took the hwy pegs off my RT.

ShovelStrokeEd

Try it on an 1100S with low bars. Can you say groin pull? Besides, Master Yoda would NOT approve.

I didn't find stretching my legs around the RT fairing to be particularly comfortable.

On the R12RT, I don't have any conflict with the fairing using ELF-pegs. I like them, and use them frequently.

I have dropped the bike on the Burton Briggs brackets (same mounting idea as the Talons) and didn't do any serious damage.

I use these and have dropped the bike on both sides. No leaks, no damage to bike, in fact they protected the valve cover well. Brackets got bent, I bent them back and continued to hang my legs on them. A cheap alternative for essential gear for long trips with long legs IMHO.

I've had the RCU brand peg mounting brackets with BMW pegs attached for about two years. Haven't dropped the bike with them, but my mechanic says it would be bad news. I'm willing to take that chance since I use them on long trips especially when it's hot and I want my legs out in the airstream.

Al

I've got 20 or 30k miles with the Burton bracket setup, no problems or complaints. I use them for the occasional stretch during my regular riding, and I use them more frequently in warmer weather to "scoop" air into the (warm) RT cockpit (feet and legs out in the breeze can funnel in some nice air!)

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Archived