IGNORED

"The Moment Collectors" Book Review

MotoNews

Published in: Media

The Moment Collectors Review intro

Reading The Moment Collectors: Twenty Travellers’ Tales from Around the World, an anthology of short stories of motorcycle travel adventures selected by Sam Manicom, triggered a walk down memory lane for me. Reflecting upon the chapters in this book, each written by a different author, I often paused and dwelled on my own memories generated during my years on “the roads less traveled.” Although each of the various stories described a particular moment during the author’s journey that was unique to them and memorable enough to write about, it struck me how often I recognized certain situations and how they affected the authors. The similarities of some of the recounted experiences to my own were remarkable.

Although we all come from different backgrounds, roots, and cultures, once we embark on our journeys, we become members of a global tribe of adventure seekers who explore entire continents on motorcycles. And as such, we share many of the extraordinary experiences that, combined, make up the journey of a lifetime. There is a familiar universality in the 20 travelers’ tales that is only discernible to the wandering members of our nomadic tribe.

The veterans among us will recognize many of the authors’ experiences, feelings, and thoughts that befall most of us when we commit ourselves to life on the road. Roaming Earth on two wheels in search of ever-elusive horizons, we are sucked into a maelstrom of unforeseen events, challenging situations, and surprising encounters that result in a barrage of unanticipated emotions, indelible impressions, exhilarating sensations, and mind-opening thoughts. It’s this kaleidoscope of emotional states and philosophical wanderings that travelers experience “in the moment,” that is the subject of this unique anthology.

The stories describe wonderful moments of deep bliss and immense joy when riding through breathtaking scenery, heart-warming encounters with friendly strangers who invite travelers into their homes and offer them food, often without being able to engage in conversation due to language barriers, and camaraderie with fellow travelers. But there are also the accounts of the debilitating doubts and paralyzing fears, the bone-shattering crashes, the harrowing hardships and daunting setbacks endured during inclement weather on treacherous roads in remote corners of the planet. The “moments” collected by the 20 authors cover much of the spectrum of enriching, challenging, and even life-changing experiences that globetrotting motorcyclists will encounter.

Apart from the entertainment that reading this book offers, the beauty of this anthology lies in the inspirational value these diverse stories offer, as well as the interesting observations and insights into fascinating worlds and cultures to which we would otherwise remain oblivious. A perfect example of this is found in Chapter 9: “The Kyrgyzstan Eagle Hunter” by Tiffany Coates, a beautifully written, captivating gem of a story of an ancient hunting tradition passed down the paternal lineage through the centuries, resulting in an otherworldly lifestyle that could not possibly be more removed from our own. Tiffany’s compelling story exemplifies the essence of why we leave the comfort and safety of our homes and roam the earth in search of those touching encounters and uniquely gratifying moments that are immensely enriching our lives.

This anthology will appeal to seasoned veterans as well as the wide-eyed dreamers who aspire to embark on their first journeys. Just like Ted Simon’s iconic book, Jupiter’s Travels, had a life-changing impact on me more than 40 years ago, this anthology might also inspire budding adventurers to take that all-important first step at the start of a journey that will change their lives forever.

The Moment Colletors Review coverThis collection of short stories will not only inspire fledglings but even galvanized an old hand like me into action. Reading these tales made me reminisce about my own transcontinental motorcycle journeys from the past, fortuitously prompting me to return to Europe after seven years’ absence to embark on a long-distance off-road riding adventure across the old continent. Exploring the Trans Euro Trail (T.E.T.) network couldn’t come soon enough after more than two years of soul-sapping “pandemical” lockdowns and travel restrictions. That catalytic impact alone makes me grateful for having read Sam Manicom’s anthology. I only wished he had published it at least a year earlier to help me cope with not being able to explore foreign lands during the pandemic.

Publisher: Adventure Motorcycle Travel Books

Paperback: $20 | Kindle: $9.99

ISBN: 978-1-7398888-0-0

ASIN: ‎ B09SM3T6NJ

Where to Buy:

In UK: Click Here to Order directly from Sam

Around the world: Click Here to Order from Amazon

View the full article