IGNORED

Preload seting adjust 2006 r1200 rt

christianf

If it has the standard adjuster, there should be knob under the seat.

If it has ESA, you select from three settings using the button on the left handle bar, engine running, in neutral. When mine still worked, I made adjustments while standing next to the bike to reduce the load on the motor. 

Instructions are in the owners manual, page 61 for manual adjust, page 63 for ESA.

Thank you but I cannot find the hand wheel or the spring screw. I looked all over under the seat but no ha wheel and I do not know how to access the spring preload adjusting scre. Do I need to remove the fairing?

13 hours ago, christianf said:

Thank you but I cannot find the hand wheel or the spring screw. I looked all over under the seat but no ha wheel and I do not know how to access the spring preload adjusting scre. Do I need to remove the fairing?

Afternoon christianf

Look closely at  your rear strut (rear shock) to see if it has a big box looking thing on the side near the top if it does then you will have no manual rear adjuster) the adjuster will be electrical with the switch to adjust on the L/H handlebar pod. 

YezsjZp.jpg

2 minutes ago, christianf said:

Thank you I will look at this. Is this part of the traction assist mode setup? I have three levels, normal, sport and rain

Morning christianf

No the traction control is a different system that controls the powertrain not the suspension.

I do havé that contraption on the side of the rear shock similar to your picture. I also have a ESA button on my left handlebar, I believe this is electronic suspension assist correct?

The 2006 RT ESA provides three rear preload settings (one helmet, one helmet+luggage, two helmets) and three damping settings (comfort, normal, sport). There was no rain mode and the only thing that might be considered traction control on 2006 RT would be ABS.

Automatic Stability Control (ASC) became available in 2007, but that has no modes, it is either on or off,

10 hours ago, christianf said:

I do havé that contraption on the side of the rear shock similar to your picture. I also have a ESA button on my left handlebar, I believe this is electronic suspension assist correct?

Morning  christianf

Close, you have what BMW calls  ESA   (E)lectronic (S)uspension (A)djustment. 

Look in your riders manual at around pages 63 to 65 for ESA settings & understanding.

If I understand correctly there are three modes related to loading and their modes related to driving styles. Each of the 9 combinations adjusting the suspension “geometry” per the manual description. Interesting but no traction control per se. Is there one combination that would be more adapted to rain mode? Thank you for your help clarifying all this

1 hour ago, christianf said:

If I understand correctly there are three modes related to loading and their modes related to driving styles. Each of the 9 combinations adjusting the suspension “geometry” per the manual description. Interesting but no traction control per se. Is there one combination that would be more adapted to rain mode? Thank you for your help clarifying all this

Afternoon christianf

Nothing on the 2006 1200RT specifically related to rain riding or wet traction. 

The ABS braking should give you some wet road stopping security if you are riding straight up but even the ABS system on the 2006 1200RT isn't going to always prevent issues if hard braking while the motorcycle is leaned over.