IGNORED

R12RT 2006 with single horn?

black99S

Just picked up my new (Canadian) 06RT and was surprised to find only a single flat horn mounted in front of the shock. Demo I rode had dual FIAM type; one in front of the shock and 2nd left side forward near oil cooler. Road test report of K1200GT commented it had a single cheap horn unlike the RT with dual real horns. Anybody else with a single horn? Is this a recent factory cost cutting measure?

I had heard that this was a cost cutting measure on the 06 Rt's but haven't seen it in person. My 05 has the dual horns and actually startled me the first time I ever hit the horn button. I guess it's one more place the bean counters at BMW are trying to cut costs, similar to the no real second key, and no tool kit to speak of, as well as making several of the things that were standard on the 05's "pay for" options on the 06's. They're shooting themselves in the foot in the long run (IMHO).

Picked up my '06 about 5 weeks ago and it also has the single, somewhat anemic, horn. I'm no mechanic, but I assume it would be easy (?) to get the horns and wire them up in place of the now stock horn.

Picked up my '06 about 5 weeks ago and it also has the single, somewhat anemic, horn. I'm no mechanic, but I assume it would be easy (?) to get the horns and wire them up in place of the now stock horn.
Hmmm, while I haven't actually looked, I can tell from the tone that my horn is dual and it is LOUD. My RT is also an 06 that I picked up in late April.

Thanks for the thread link. I should have searched first before posting. That said,

- Has anyone with the cheap, flat, single horn looked to see if the wire harness still has a second pigtail up forward on the left side?

- Has anyone tried to install real dual horns (FIAM etc) on a single horn RT?

Archived