IGNORED

older gentleman goes down

itroop

So today I'm riding down the road, and off to my left I see a motorcycle turning around in the dirt. Well as I approach him, I see the front end dip and the bike and rider went down.

I pulled over and stopped to help this guy. Well, he picked up the bike, but on my way over to him, he dropped the bike again. As I got closer, I saw that the bike was an older(mid 70's) BMW in really good condition. As I walked up to the rider, he took off his helmet, and much to my surprise, it was a gentleman in his mid 70's.

After he assured me that he was OK, and his only injury was a scraped up, bloody elbow, we struck up a conversation about riding.

This gentleman said he used to fly planes and do other exciting things, but just bought this motorcycle. He told me that it took him 47 years to convince his wife to get one. He just drove to Missouri to pick up this bike. This gentleman asked me where was the closest DMV. I told him that I jast happened to be headed there and he could follow.

Well, after watching him drop his bike twice in the dirt, and observing his street riding, I certainly hope that he is reading this post to take some advise. Sir, please take a motorcycle safety foundation course. It will benefit you for years to come. I don't want to see you end up like so many riders that have not taken any training.

I am not one to criticize anyone's riding, but what I saw today was absolutely scary at best. I hope that you are reading this and can take some constructive criticism. This is certainly not to make fun of you, but to make the road a safer place for everyone. I'm sure other folks on the website also have some great input for you thumbsup.gif.

All we can hope is that you told him to check out this great site in that it offers honest perspectives. Yours was a heartfelt display of concern.

Ride Safe thumbsup.gif

Good for you, your heart and concern was/is well placed.

I'm just curious though...how did you know he was in his mid 70's when he took off his helmet?? smile.gif

Paul Mihalka
I'm just curious though...how did you know he was in his mid 70's when he took off his helmet?? smile.gif
May be he looked like me....
Good for you, your heart and concern was/is well placed.

Let's just say he looked aged. I'll tell you what, that was a very nice gentleman that I met. Came over to this country from Switzerland and was a true gentleman. Refreshing to see this day and age. And that is primarily why I was concerned for this man.

Mark

A scoot with a smaller displacement would probably be in order for him, in addition to MSF instruction. thumbsup.gif

scottie_boy

Maybe it was Marty! eek.gif We don't have that much evidence to prove that he really is in Europe. tongue.gif

Francois_Dumas

Maybe it was Marty! eek.gif We don't have that much evidence to prove that he really is in Europe. tongue.gif

Soon .......... wink.gifwink.gifthumbsup.gif

When I was in Colorado, we had along with us a guy with a big Harley Road King. He was the Step Dad of one of the guys we work with and none of us had ever ridden with him before. He was in his 60s and had a short set of legs. Not all that bright either it turns out. This guy over 3 days dropped that bike 3 times. It was simply too much bike for him though he was not smart enough to admit it. Part of it was he couldn't touch the ground and hold up the bike on any sort of incline and the other was that when he stopped it was scary to watch him balance.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Archived