IGNORED

inView Wireless Helmet Brake and Turn Signal System Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

inView Helmet Light Review intro

Like most riders, I want to be seen on the road. Many motorcyclists invest in driving lights to not only help them see at night but to be seen by other drivers, even during daylight hours. Third Eye Design Inc. has come up with an excellent solution to increasing visibility from behind with the Wireless Helmet Brake and Turn Signal System, which includes an additional hard-mounted rear LED array. This system puts your brake lights and turn signals at eye view to most motorists, and the bright LEDs grab the attention of motorists behind you.

If you have basic electrical skills, installation is simple. The kit comes with everything you need to tap into your motorcycle’s stock wiring harness. With an inexpensive multimeter, I installed the system on my Africa Twin in under an hour. The transmitter mounted nicely under the pillion seat, which gave me easy access to the brake/turn signal light harness.

The beauty of this system is that once it’s installed, there are no switches or buttons to contend with. When you power up your bike, the helmet module wakes up and connects automatically. The module also runs through diagnostics and chirps to let you know it’s connected and operating properly. If you mistakenly mount the helmet light upside down, you’ll get a visual and audible alarm letting you know.

inView Helmet Brake Turn Signal System 1

The Third Eye Design system works off both active braking as well as an accelerometer-based chip. If you engage the front/rear brake, or if you let off the throttle, or are using engine braking coming up to a light, the helmet light and auxiliary LED will engage. While the size of the helmet light looks big, it actually weighs less than 4 oz., and you'll not even notice it is there. The helmet light runs on two AAA batteries and while a rechargeable option would be nice, the average rider will make it through most of a riding season without having to change batteries.

Check out the company’s website to see other helmet light options. You can also order an additional transceiver for multiple motorcycles. The wireless light mounts with a hook and loop system can easily be moved from helmet to helmet if you have several, or if you have a pillion rider and want to move it to their helmet. The price includes everything you need to tap into your bike’s wiring harness and mount both the helmet light and auxiliary light.

ThirdEyeDesignInc.com

MSRP $249.95

PROS:

• Designed and manufactured in the U.S.
  • Automatically turns on and off with the ignition
  • Increased safety factor

CONS:

• Wish the helmet module was a little more compact

View the full article