IGNORED

Wing-type seats

DavidPorter

DavidPorter

I'm pretty sure this is what I need to help cure my problem (insufficient padding on pelvic pressure points, need more support of outer butt). I'm looking for opinions on Russell/Rick Mayer/Bill Mayer.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this is what I need to help cure my problem (insufficient padding on pelvic pressure points, need more support of outer butt). I'm looking for opinions on Russell/Rick Mayer/Bill Mayer.

The most important thing for comfort, is that the seat has to spread the load!

The seat should have enough firm padding FORWARD of your pointy backside, so that the underside of your thighs are supported also. This will relieve pressure on your behind, and result in a larger area of "you" being supported with a corresponding reduction in pressure.

Bob.

russell_bynum

Not to take anything away from the aftermarket seats, but...

My BMW "Comfort" seat went from a 250-mile/day seat to a 1300 mile/day seat when I did two things:

1. Added Seat Jacks to raise the front of the saddle

2. Adopted the Master Yoda Riding Position

I did both of those within about a month of each other, and it took a couple of weeks to fully adjust....then I rode 1200 miles in about 18 hours with no problems.

Again...I don't mean to take anything away from the aftermarket saddles, but for a fraction of the cost and a bit of effort on my part, I was able to solve my saddle discomfort issues.

AdventurePoser

Thanks.

You'll have my RDL when you pry my dead fingers from it...this is one exceptional saddle. I rode up there to have it made. They were extremely helpful and built the seat to my needs.

It was the best $600 I ever spent on my RT...

Steve in So Cal

WeirdHarold

I have a Russell Daylong seat, and I like it. However, I like it more since I tried to adopt the Master Yoda Riding Position, as Russell Bynum mentions. Leaning forward puts my weight more on my thighs and less on my tail bone. (The MYRP has additional benefits also.)

I suggest that you try the posture change first. You might just save yourself $600.

If you still want to get a new seat, I have a stock BMW Comfort Seat that I could send you, so that you wouldn't be seatless while waiting for the seat people to make the new seat on your seat pan. (My bike is also an '02 R1150RT, so the seat should fit your bike.) I don't have a spare passenger seat though.

Lemme know.

Don

Jerry_75_Guy

Ditto what Don and Russell said.

I've heard repeatedly that the 'Russell Day-Long Seat' is pretty much the 'non plus ultra' of seats, and I may still get one someday, but with the proper posture (and a padded chamois insert in my microfiber undies smirk.gif), my BMW Comfort Seat has been fine on 1500+ mile days.

The most important thing for comfort, is that the seat has to spread the load!

The seat should have enough firm padding FORWARD of your pointy backside, so that the underside of your thighs are supported also. This will relieve pressure on your behind, and result in a larger area of "you" being supported with a corresponding reduction in pressure.

Adding to my previous comments (above), it is worth remembering that if you have long legs (as I do) this can really cause seating discomfort. Long legs result in your knees being higher when seated, and that tends to lift the underside of your thighs off the seat, and result in only your pointy backside contacting the seat.

I solved it by adding more (firm) foam forward of where my backside hit the seat to support more area of "me". It made my BMW "comfort seat" actually "comfortable"!

So when reviewing comments from others regarding their impression on seat comfort, remember that leg length can make a big difference.

Bob.

Archived