IGNORED

Camshaft Sprocket to Camshaft Torque

Audi403

Hey guys,

I'm just getting ready to do my 20,000km service. Been soaking up all the information I can find and gathering all the required tools. Planning to start this late next week. I found some conflicting information on the correct torque for the camshaft sprocket to camshaft. From the R1250GS and the R1250RT service manual, it states:
Camshaft sprocket to camshaft

Exhaust, right, M10 x 1.25 x 25 - 10.9
65 Nm

Other camshafts, M10 x 1.25 x 35 - 10.9
60 Nm

If we go back to the service manual for the R1200RT, it states:

Exhaust camshaft (with trigger for camshaft sensor), M10 x 1.25 x 35 - 10.9
65 Nm

other camshafts, M10 x 1.25 x 25 - 10.9
65 Nm

It looks like the hardware used is still M10x1.25 and in both 25 and 35mm lengths.  It's weird that the bolt for the right-hand side exhaust cam gets 65Nm, and all the other cams only get 60 Nm. Does anyone know if this is just a typo in the new manual? Any reason for this?

Yes, you have found a weirdness.  Boxflyer mentions it in his videos.  I can’t recall if I ignore it, and use 65 NM on all, or not.  But as a practical matter, either one will work.

cap

Yes, I torque ALL the cam bolts to 65Nm.  I'd rather be tight (over) by about 7% vs loose by about 7%. (+/- 1.5%)

I believe it is a misprint in the Service DVD, and getting any answer from BMW is not likely...it will be a change to a Service Manual that only Dealers have access to, so the end user may be waiting a long time to find a definite answer.

• Like 2