IGNORED

TEXAS IN THE SPRING

I have ridden in every state on the lower 48 except Texas and am looking to correct this in the spring. I am tenatively looking at the last week of March into early April 2023. Planning on spending 6 days riding in TX after the arrival and am looking for input from those who live or have visited there. Must ride on the list so far is the Hill Country and Big Bend. All input on places to see, places to  eat and roads to ride is appreciated. TIA for your suggestions. 

When you get closer to your trip date, post again and I'll share with you my view.  A couple of things:

Best BBQ joints.. Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, Texas (close to Austin), Smittys in Lockhart, Kreuz, in Lockhart, and Central in Lockhart.  There is a claim that Franklins in Austin and Snow's in Lexington are the best, but I've never been there.  The wait for Franklins is usually 2 hours plus and Snow is only open on Saturday with a long line.  That's not for me.

Rides...Google 3 Sisters.  Nice 2 day riding.  Big bend is a long way.  Texas is bigger than most people understand.  For example when I rode my bike from San Diego to Houston, the half way point is approximately El Paso Texas.  Big Bend is about a 9 hour ride from Houston.

Food is a big deal here so ton's of restaurants.  Major themes are BBQ, Fresh Seafood, and of course Mexican.  Austin is our Berkeley.  

There are several BMW clubs here that do weekly rides somewhere to eat.

Holler if you want an opinion on something and do post back as it gets closer.  March could be 30 degrees or 90 degrees.

Yeeha Stephen

On a 1 week trip that goes thru the TX Hill Country, you should probably skip Big Bend. It's approx 700 miles from the Louisiana state line and 350 from the Hill Country. And it takes a whole day to ride thru BB park even on a whirlwind tour/ride.

Fun roads are spread out in TX so you'll have to pick some out and string them together. As a first-timer I would say the 3-Sisters (Farm Roads 335, 336, and 337) West of Kerrville are a must do, but try to hit them on a week day. Way crowded with cruisers on the weekends.

Many of the roads that surround the Sisters are very nice in themselves. A couple of the roads on the back side of the Sisters and run down toward Del Rio are some of my favs. They are very scenic if you like high desert scenery. (Chihuahuan Desert type)

Coming thru East Texas, many ot the roads around the Toledo Bend Reservoir (along the state line) and Sam Rayborn Res are nice, specially TX87. Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Jasper, Newton area.

There are some nice tourist traps along the coast, but you'd have to make a jog out of the way to there and on to the Hills.. Go around Houston if you can.

I've got some GPX files you can pick  thru if you'd like.

SS

2021 HC Wandering II.gpx

Like mentioned by Dave, Texas is a LOT bigger than most realize. Time can get away from you. While I love some of the coast, most of East Texas isn't spectacular. One area I love in the Spring is the Llano area. Flowers can be incredible...but you may be a bit early for that. Big Bend is worth the trouble, but there is a price to pay. Closest decent place to stay overnight is Alpine. Two hours from there to the Rio Grande river in Big Bend park. But that hike along the river is worth whatever it takes to get there. If on a street bike one day is enough to see what you want to see. 118 down to Big Bend, do your stuff, then take 170 over to Presidio. That is a nice ride. Hit 67 up to Marfa then either back to Alpine or where ever you want to go. I would take 90 out of San Antonio, then come back on I-10. Anywhere West of San Antonio is the heart of the Hill Country. Kerville is a nice base to ride below I-10 and the Fredricksburg/Llano area. 

Agree with Terry. While in Marfa. lookup the Marfa lights. It’s Texas’s version of the Northern Lights. If you pass through Houston I might be willing to ride to Big Bend with you. I-10 speed limit is 85mph. 

Yeeha Stephen

Miss  Vicki and I almost got snowed-in at the Holland Hotel in Alpine over Thanksgiving weekend. 3 to 4 inches in Alpine and almost 8 along I-10 near Fort Stockton

Funny... 80 miles south, Big Bend park was sunny and 70 degrees, and shirt sleeve weather along the river.