IGNORED

Which helmets fit in stock bags?

DavidPorter

DavidPorter

I have just acquired a 2002 R1150RT and my helmet (HJC flip-up, large) won't fit in either saddlebag. It's pretty close, which got me thinking the shell may just be bigger than others. I hope so. I don't want to buy the extra-deep lids just to store my helmet out of sight. I'm not averse to getting a new helmet.

Thanks for any tips.

My large BMW system 4 helmet fits in the standard top case with no problems but will not fit in the side cases.

Cheers

Try opening the helmet and placing it sideways (opening toward the bike) in the right bag... works for a XXL Schuberth Concept.

My riding buddy has an old "medium" that will fit, but his (or any?) large will not.

I wear an XL (let loose w/the buckethead jokes) that fits in the topcase, however.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the flip-up part. Ignore that last post -- especially the buckethead part....

I have 2 HJC Symax flip-up helmets, XL and a Medium. The exterior dimensions of these helmets are the same. The amount of padding in the helmet creates the size. I can fit both in eithor the right side case or the top case. It's a tight squeeze, but it works. Make sure there are no rivets or other metal protrusions in the cases that will scratch the helmets. I put some nice scratches in my helmet until I noticed a rivet in the top case. I covered the rivet with some tape to protect from further scratches. In the right side case, the helmet goes in facing front.

My Nolan flip-up fits upside down in the right side case ('98 K1200RS)

Of course for $1.88 you can build a helmet lock. Then you can still lock your helmet even if your side cases are full.

My HJC (medium size)Symax fits the side compartment of the R1100RT stock bag. My Nolan fip up (medium) BARELY fits the side case with a lot of "help".

russell_bynum

My $0.02:

Don't buy a helmet to fit your side cases...buy a helmet to fit your head. If the best fitting helmet you can find accidentally fits in your side cases, then consider yourself lucky.

Otherwise, there's a number of very cheap, but quite effective solutions to lock a helmet to the bike.

Large RF1000, fits, barely, in the side case on my RRS. It's best on it's side, with the opening facing outward. It takes some cajoling sometimes.

DavidPorter

Thanks for all the tips. The helmet will fit in the right bag if I open it just so and place it with care, but it's tight and won't close that last 1/8 inch by itself. It fits better in the topcase, which I don't always use.

Archived