R1150GS Buffeting

hcmiller92

hcmiller92

I'm swapping my beloved R1100RT tomorrow for a 2001 R1150GS in gorgeous shape because it suits my riding needs better. I intend to put a Cee Bailey's screen on it but my experience tells me much of the buffeting comes up through the space surrounding the fork tubes. Does anyone know of a pre-manufactured air dam, lowers, or some homemade contrivance that works to deflect this air? I did a search on the subject but the engine brought up nothing.

Thank you for any input. wave.gif

Curt

I made some acrylic wings which just happened to be very similar to what ended up on the production R1200GS Adventure... always wanted to put a little spoiler under the beak across where most folks mount light bars, but sold the bike before I got around to it.

You'll get much better results by putting Tobinators on that screen than trying to attack the air coming up around the tunnel, though.

hcmiller92
I made some acrylic wings which just happened to be very similar to what ended up on the production R1200GS Adventure... always wanted to put a little spoiler under the beak across where most folks mount light bars, but sold the bike before I got around to it.

You'll get much better results by putting Tobinators on that screen than trying to attack the air coming up around the tunnel, though.

Thanks, Hedge. That's exactly the steps I'll take. The Tobinator looks like a good piece and will work with any almost screen. I'll start there.

Curt

No sweat. For the record, on my '00 1150 GS (Standard), I tried:

1. Stock screen

2. Aeroflow

3. Two-piece Vario

4. Adventure screen

5. Stock screen with Tobinators

6. Adventure screen with Tobinators

I probably could have gone the Cee Baileys route (big honkin' screen, taller and wider than anything), but at 6' 1" I was never really cozy with the GS ergos and finally realized I was trying to turn the damn thing into an RT.

Now I have an RT-P and need a taller windshield, go figger dopeslap.gif

Same issues with my Y2K 1150GS. I chose to go with the Cee Bailey GS Adventure kit at plus 2 wide, plus 2 tall. After many long days, many around 1K and one up to 1250 miles, I would prefer a plus 1 tall, plus 3 wide now.

You should realize that it will never be an RT, but that's OK.

Archived