IGNORED

Baehr Intercom on/off and CANBUS

Illini

I have a Baehr Ultima XL system hooked up to the RT through a centech1 fuse panel. I also have a roady 2 hooked up but am using the lighter plug as power for the Roady 2. I start the bike and the Roady 2 powers up like it's supposed to, then I plug in the helmet speakers and set off and after about 5 minutes the roady and the Baehr shuts off. If I pull over and turn the key off then back on I've got power again to the baehr and the roady2. If I don't pull off and keep riding about 5 minutes later the baehr and roady comes back on. Sometimes it will shut off again and sometimes I can go for hours without any problems. Is this a CANBUS issue and what can I do about it?

I also have the Ultima XL, and have to ask...

why not take it and it's supplied fuse right to the battery?

The UltimaXL powers up only when you plug in your headset cord..at least mine does.

Since the UltimaXL comes with what a 1 amp fuse, and I would think the Roady about the same, have you anything else on the CANBUS accessory circuit? I thought the accessory circuit was good for around 10 amps on the RT.

I would think that since you are plugging in the Roady through the BMW receptacle, the problem probaby is in the CANBUS accessory circuit. It thinks it's seeing more than the alloted draw...again, 10 amps?

Which Centech block do you have? Is it supplied with a switching relay? If not, what are you doing for a relay to switch on-off the power to the Centech fuses? Or are they just straight to the battery?

Scoot, I am running a centech1 to a relay (powered by the rear accy. outlet) I also have a corbin heated seat ran through the centech1 but since it's summer it's not on. I can't imagine that the baehr and the roady together is drawing any more than 2 or 3 amps. I have had my stock radio shut down on me before I had wired up the centech or the baehr and it comes right back on when I turn the key off and back on. I think Satan is living in my RT. dopeslap.gif

I suppose you dealer has NEVER been able to figure why the stock radio shuts down?

Intermittent stuff sux for both you and the dealer.

If you don't use the Roady, does the system shut down? Maybe try an iPod input for tunes to see how the circuit responds?

KiwiAdventure

untitled.jpg

I have a Baehr XL and use this fitting from http://www.touratech.de/shop/enter.html?lang=en-us I have not had any problems at all.

TPS 15 for BMW R 1200 GS

15A relais switch Euro 25,00

With this practical little helper you can also connect various electrical devices, such as a tent light, compressor or battery charging unit (maximum 5 up to 15 A), to the complex R1200GS CAN bus systm and operate these easily without the on-board electronic system being switched off automatically.

This sounds suspiciously like the intermittent acc'y. socket shut down that has been introduced on the 12GS by a software upgrade. The UK/EU people are seeing it first. So far I haven't seen anything on those boards that BMW has yet another software upgrade out that corrects the problem the current on creates.

Just speculation... Has the bike had its software upgraded since new?

Bump... I hard wired my Roady2 directly to the centech 1 and eliminated the front cigarette plug as the power for the roady2. I no longer have the shut down on the Baehr and roady that I once had. I'm thinking the CANBUS does not like things running off my outlet plug. But I never had any problems running my cell phone charger from there. Just wanted to finish this thread!!! clap.gif

• 2 months later...
This sounds suspiciously like the intermittent acc'y. socket shut down that has been introduced on the 12GS by a software upgrade. The UK/EU people are seeing it first. So far I haven't seen anything on those boards that BMW has yet another software upgrade out that corrects the problem the current on creates.

I've been tearing my hair out for months, wondering why my intercom and radar detector connected to the front accessory socket were switching off and on intermittently. It was only after searching on the UK GSer site that I realized it started occurring after a software upgrade some time ago.

I've just talked to the local dealer support guy, who says a new software upgrade to fix this and a few other problems should be here next week. Apparently it has been released, but has not arrived down under yet. He had not heard of the problem before.

Yeah, and the BMWNA dealers don't seem to know about the next upgrade at all. I had my 12GS in for a different warranty issue last week, and I specifically told them DON'T upgrade the ZFE software (with the battery run-down upgrade)! If it isn't broke, please don't try to fix it!

I'm seeing the same issue on my '05 R12RT . I have the Baehr and Roady hooked up to the acc lead. Sometimes it quits (power dead) and when you recycle the key, it will come back on. It does sem to happen more frequntly if I start the bike before it has gone completly though it's start-up sequence. And it began after the last software upgrade around 6\06..

Isn't new technology wonderful..

Craig

bakerzdosen

Is there an easy way (didn't find one in a cursory search) to tell which version of software a CANBUS bike is running?

Archived