IGNORED

RIP Corporal LeBeau

RandyShields

I loved Hogan's Heroes as a youngster, but didn't understand the stupidity of the show with what our POWs really went through in Germany, but it was all Hollywood.  The last survivor of the show -- Robert Clary -- just passed at the age of 96.  A long life when one considers his family being executed by Nazis at Auschwitz and living in that concentration camp for almost 3 years as a teen.  I recall the venom in his delivery of "the Bosch" during the show, and that background explains a lot.  RIP Robert Clary.  

AA14cmQ1.img?w=1920&h=1080&q=60&m=2&f=jp

• Plus 1 2

My Dad always hated that show. He would say that it made the Germans look stupid, and that they were anything but that. I guess from being in the thick of it in WW2, he wasn't able to see the humor in it. I always thought it was funny

23 hours ago, taylor1 said:

I guess from being in the thick of it in WW2, he wasn't able to see the humor in it.

Yeah, the show aired pretty soon after the end of the war.  I certainly understand where he and others were coming from.  My father-in-law served at the end of the war in the Navy.  He could never get over his negative feelings for the Japanese.

my maternal grandfather never got over bad feelings with the Japanese ever.  Never owned a Japanese car, stopped going to businesses around his home if Japanese owned.  

My paternal grandfather rarely spoke about the Germans, was wounded at Battle of the Bulge, twice.  

Dennis Andress

My dad and I used to watch Hogan's Heroes together!

My grandfather was an American POW. My grandmother grabbed her kids and hauled ass west when she saw the Russians comming.