IGNORED

clearwater harness question

rounder jim

This past June 1st i picked up my new triple black RT. Two days earlier I dropped off my old high milage RT at the same dealer where they diagnosed a bad stator. 

The old RT became my secondary bike , a beater of sorts. I will use that bike to run errands in the rain or worse and if I have to strap something big onto the bike. Because of this I went to the dealers warehouse area to take some parts off the old RT that I could use on the new bike. Like the foot peg lowers,rear protection bars and so on. This included my Clearwater lights. But because the bike was locked in place with bikes very close on either side I wasn't able to take the fairing panels off to access the wiring harness . So I cut the wires leading to the lights up as high as I could and bought a new harness from Clearwater for the new bike.

Tonight I rode the old bike in the dark. It still has the Moto Lights fork mounted lights but they are only good for the bike to be seen. They do almost no good at lighting the way. You can say I am spoiled by the Clearwater Eirika and Darla set up now on the new bike. I want to add some more lights to the old bike but can't afford another set of Clearwater lights for a bike I will never travel with.  

So my question is if I buy some much less expensive LED lights for the old bike can I use the Clearwater wiring harness thats still on the bike ?

• 2 weeks later...
Motorhead1977

I am by no means a definitive resource on this nor do I have a great understanding of CANbus but my "logical brain" says why not? The wiring harness you cut when you removed the Clearwater lights is simply going to supply the power to the new lights you will install.  Others with far more knowledge than I may have something more to say so you may want to get further opinions. Good luck.

Thanks for responding Motorhead. I agree I think other lights will power up. But more specically will they have the same functions as the Clearwaters and be adjustable with the wonder wheel. I guess at some point I will buy some less expensive lights and find out