IGNORED

Brother had a Heart Attack

Lowndes

My younger brother (72 yo, normal weight) had a heart attack Friday afternoon.  It was the big one, "The Widomaker".  But everything is good.  

At 4:45 PM he told his wife he didn't feel good.  At 6:27 the stint was in.  He's going home in a few minutes, already released.

The wife is a retired RN and "has got it going on".  He had a checkup WITH a stress test by his cardiologist just a month ago, all clear, no problems.  The cardio did give the wife a script for nitroglycerine tablets, just as a precaution, which she promptly picked up. 

She immediately gave him two at 4:45 and "a jar of asprin to chew on".  She then called for an ambulance and made sure they had EXACT directions with cross streets - they live in a rural area and a few years back a lady down the road died because the ambulance couldn't find the address.  Friday the abulance was there in 15 along with a fire truck and medic.  30 minute ride to the ER and they went in thru his wrist.  The Dr said it will be several weeks before they know the full story on damage but eveything looked very good and no resrtrictions on activities, "JDODI".

I visited him Sat and Sunday.  He was very tired Sat from not having his CPAP all night but otherwise normal.  Sunday he was ready to go home.  Told him first thing to do is go back to the cariologist and ask for your money back.

Lessons learned:

1.  DO NOT WAIT, CALL THE FREAKIN AMBULANCE!!  They will know if you need the ride.

2.  BE PREPARED.  Have asprin ready and hit your Dr for a nitroglycerine perscription.  The wife said Sunday over lunch in the cafeteria that nitroglycerine should be in everyone's medicine cabinet.  If Naloxone is OTC then maybe nitroglycerine should be at least available.

Take heed, we are at that age.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

My younger brother (72 yo, normal weight) had a heart attack Friday afternoon.  It was the big one, "The Widomaker".  But everything is good.  

At 4:45 PM he told his wife he didn't feel good.  At 6:27 the stint was in.  He's going home in a few minutes, already released.

The wife is a retired RN and "has got it going on".  He had a checkup WITH a stress test by his cardiologist just a month ago, all clear, no problems.  The cardio did give the wife a script for nitroglycerine tablets, just as a precaution, which she promptly picked up. 

She immediately gave him two at 4:45 and "a jar of asprin to chew on".  She then called for an ambulance and made sure they had EXACT directions with cross streets - they live in a rural area and a few years back a lady down the road died because the ambulance couldn't find the address.  Friday the abulance was there in 15 along with a fire truck and medic.  30 minute ride to the ER and they went in thru his wrist.  The Dr said it will be several weeks before they know the full story on damage but eveything looked very good and no resrtrictions on activities, "JDODI".

I visited him Sat and Sunday.  He was very tired Sat from not having his CPAP all night but otherwise normal.  Sunday he was ready to go home.  Told him first thing to do is go back to the cariologist and ask for your money back.

Lessons learned:

1.  DO NOT WAIT, CALL THE FREAKIN AMBULANCE!!  They will know if you need the ride.

2.  BE PREPARED.  Have asprin ready and hit your Dr for a nitroglycerine perscription.  The wife said Sunday over lunch in the cafeteria that nitroglycerine should be in everyone's medicine cabinet.  If Naloxone is OTC then maybe nitroglycerine should be at least available.

Take heed, we are at that age.

Also, remember, Nitro expires and is pretty much useless after six months.  When you grab for that bottle, you want to make sure it'll actually be able to do the job of opening your veins.  (Don't ask me how I know that, i.e. experience can be a wicked teacher.🙄)

Happy for the great results, Lowndes. 👍

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear he is doing well.  A good friend of mine survived a widowmaker attack as well.

I've put it on my notes to ask about nitro when I go in for my physical next week.

Thanks for posting, we can never be too prepared !!!!

• Thanks 1

Glad he is ok and what an amazingly prepared wife.  Just reminds us all we aren't here forever.  Be caught up on what you want to say to your love ones before you face an awful tragedy.

Lowndes....on the aspirin thing.  I keep 4 aspirin in a tiny plastic container just big enough to hold the 4 aspirin.  They are with me in my pocket if I am awake.  I have no known heart issues and a routine my company started 30 years ago, I still meet with my cardiologist every 2 years.

I'm glad for your family he will be ok.

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Glad he is ok and what an amazingly prepared wife.  Just reminds us all we aren't here forever.  Be caught up on what you want to say to your love ones before you face an awful tragedy.

Lowndes....on the aspirin thing.  I keep 4 aspirin in a tiny plastic container just big enough to hold the 4 aspirin.  They are with me in my pocket if I am awake.  I have no known heart issues and a routine my company started 30 years ago, I still meet with my cardiologist every 2 years.

I'm glad for your family he will be ok.

Kinda like this.  I stopped carrying 84 mg aspirin when my cardiologist told me to stop taking it, due to the blood thinners I'm using.  But on the other hand, if I'm dying of a heart attack, it probably doesn't matter much what I take, as long as it keeps me alive until paramedics reach me.  I may add them back.

image.thumb.jpeg.4cb1d50a6c78c2c2711de81f002286b8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A year ago this month I made an appointment with my now cardiologist just because I turned 65 and thought it would be a smart move. 80% blockage in two arteries. I had no adverse symptoms, no angina or shortness of breath. Two stents later and I'm off to the races. Of course the least little scratch on my arm and I am in need of a pint or two of blood. If I bump my arm I get those blood spots just under the skin. I call them old man arms. My blood thinner (Brilinta) is the culprit. Getting old sux. 

Go ahead and make your appointment guys.

We’re only immortal for a limited time (N.E.P.)

Do it tomorrow. 

• Like 4
John Ranalletta
On 11/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, Lowndes said:

He was very tired Sat from not having his CPAP

Glad your bro is recovering.  Hell of a scare.  Have read a few articles linking sleep apnea (oxygen deprivation) with heart issues.  Four close friends/fam members use the CPAP.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...