IGNORED

Wunderlich brake/clutch levers - anyone bought/used them?

Steve398

Has anyone bought a set of these, and what do you think of them? They are hideously expensive but will, I hope, resolve the problem on my 2018RT with the clutch biting point being just that little bit far out for my hands, or more accurately my arthritic middle and ring finger… old age strikes!

I’m aware of the adjustment that can be made via the little screw thingy, but not enough.

1 hour ago, Steve398 said:

Has anyone bought a set of these, and what do you think of them? They are hideously expensive but will, I hope, resolve the problem on my 2018RT with the clutch biting point being just that little bit far out for my hands, or more accurately my arthritic middle and ring finger… old age strikes!

I’m aware of the adjustment that can be made via the little screw thingy, but not enough.

Afternoon Steve398

I am not familiar with those levers but I have worked with a number of BMW hydraulic clutch systems to t-r-y to get the clutch release point closer for a few riders that have asked me for help. 

Here is the thing,  if you don't change the actual ratio of lever movement to master cylinder piston travel then no matter the lever design the lever will hit the grip before full clutch release if you move the friction point in closer to the grip.  So basically if adjusting the little screw won't get you what you need then (assuming the same lever ratio) how would a different lever give an improvement? 

Now if a new lever has a better ratio of lever travel to master cylinder piston movement then you could move the friction point in & still get a full clutch release, but you don't get that for nothing so the lever force required to operate the clutch will then go up.

As I mentioned above, I can't help you with the levers you asked about but you might want to keep in mind what I said above when looking at new levers.

Hi and thanks, according to their blurb the levers are designed more parallel to the handlebar rather than being at an angle:

Vario Levers represent a revolution in ergonomics, functionality and safety. In addition to allowing adjustable reach, they are also adjustable in length. These levers allow precise adjustment to exactly suit the needs of the rider in various situations and additionally, really look great. Adjusted all the way in, the levers are about 1/2 inch closer to the grip however it actually feels like more because the shape of the lever is more parallel to the handlebar than the stock lever.

27 minutes ago, Steve398 said:

Hi and thanks, according to their blurb the levers are designed more parallel to the handlebar rather than being at an angle:

Vario Levers represent a revolution in ergonomics, functionality and safety. In addition to allowing adjustable reach, they are also adjustable in length. These levers allow precise adjustment to exactly suit the needs of the rider in various situations and additionally, really look great. Adjusted all the way in, the levers are about 1/2 inch closer to the grip however it actually feels like more because the shape of the lever is more parallel to the handlebar than the stock lever.

Afternoon Steve 

Those might feel a little better but keep in mind that the low spot in the lever will still hit the grip & that low spot is pretty well fixed in relation to the total lever movement required. 

They do say   "Adjusted all the way in, the levers are about 1/2 inch closer to the grip"   but that is really no different than using that little screw to move your stock lever in 1/2".

I presume that your stock levers are also pretty parallel to the grip at full pull-in?

Those levers might give you a little better hand feel but I just can't see how they will give you a lower friction point than the stock lever with the little screw adjusted. The lever still needs X amount of movement to get full clutch release. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having read through the reviews, purchased the levers and test rode the bike yesterday, I can only surmise that because their shape they do in fact work as I wanted. The bite point undoubtedly is the same but the lever itself is deeper, leading to it starting closer to the bar and the bite point now within my hand span. I did explore the option of adjustment on the plunger but the lock screw appears to have been inserted with red threadock so it defeated my efforts. 

Expensive option it may have been but it has achieved its aim.