IGNORED

Headlight Adjustment Knob Cable Issues

Samuel

Hey Guys,

We have a hiccup with the headlight adjustment knob on the dash and how it functions.

We replaced the cable but can’t figure out if there is supposed to be a ramp of some kind in the knob #1 or the Nut #3 to pull the cable as you turn? Right now, it just turns (no pull on cable) and if you turn the knob to far the bushing #4 slides down into the keyed slotted portion of the cable head #7 which locks it from turning. Is the knob supposed to be a pull out and turn design?

Thanks for the help.

Sam

image.png.c68281bb6167eb583ac1930e1c42fb33.png

It’s been more than 10years since I had one of those, but if I remember correctly you push in and squeeze the knob. Someone with an 1150RT will be along shortly to verify. 

Is the headlight cable adjustment unique to the R1150RT? I've not seen anything like this on my R1100RT.  Just continuing to learn. Miguel

not sure but wish they would bring it back.  You could make adjustments without getting off the bike.  It came in real handy as load and road changed.

2 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

s the headlight cable adjustment unique to the R1150RT

Pic I posted was the parts fish, mine looks just like the strataj posted pic though.

From the pic, #5 is the screw on cable bushing that goes into the knob, maybe the nut # 2 is jacked up on mine even appears ok...not sure.

Thanks for the help !

Sam 

19 hours ago, Miguel! said:

Is the headlight cable adjustment unique to the R1150RT? I've not seen anything like this on my R1100RT.  Just continuing to learn. Miguel

Miguel, on my '98 RT the head light adjustment knob is to the right of the headlight pigtail that plugs into the headlight.

21 hours ago, Samuel said:

Hey Guys,

We have a hiccup with the headlight adjustment knob on the dash and how it functions.

We replaced the cable but can’t figure out if there is supposed to be a ramp of some kind in the knob #1 or the Nut #3 to pull the cable as you turn? Right now, it just turns (no pull on cable) and if you turn the knob to far the bushing #4 slides down into the keyed slotted portion of the cable head #7 which locks it from turning. Is the knob supposed to be a pull out and turn design?

Thanks for the help.

Sam

Morning  Samuel

The knob basically pulls on the cable (threaded deal behind the knob), a spring at the headlight pulls the cable back as you turn the knob the other way.  When you installed the new cable is it adjusted tight enough on the font end to keep the cable tight.

Or possibly the spring is unhooked or broken (or possibly something wrong on the front end adjuster mechanism).

Thanks Dirtrider for the tips.

Cable is tight (no slack) & I can can pull the lever on the back of the light with some force and the lamp moves.

It's almost like something is missing in or behind the knob that would pull the cable tension up or down, right now it just turns.

I can move adjuster mechanism lever by hand but it's very stiff.

Puzzled for sure.

Sam 

39 minutes ago, Samuel said:

Thanks Dirtrider for the tips.

Cable is tight (no slack) & I can can pull the lever on the back of the light with some force and the lamp moves.

It's almost like something is missing in or behind the knob that would pull the cable tension up or down, right now it just turns.

I can move adjuster mechanism lever by hand but it's very stiff.

Puzzled for sure.

Sam 

Morning SAm

Is the cable housing end that #4 screws into the same size on your new cable as the old cable. I haven't had one of those apart in years but it sort of sounds like the #4 is screwing down into the new housing so isn't pulling on the cable. 

Thanks DR.....Holy Cow u were correct that #4 indeed was getting screwed in all the way to the cable base #7 which caused the issue.

Such a simple design for such a bonehead over sight on my part !

Thank you for the help !

Sam

6 hours ago, Joe Coastie said:

Miguel, on my '98 RT the head light adjustment knob is to the right of the headlight pigtail that plugs into the headlight.

Thanks Joe. I've not needed to adjust it but good to know where the adjustment is if I need it. Cheers. Miguel