IGNORED

02 RT sputter

taylor1

Went for a ride yesterday. Bike fired right up with good idle. After about an hour's ride I cracked the throttle and @ 6200 it started to sputter. Made it home fine but every time I opened it up it would pop and sputter at that same rpm. Let it cool down and did a TB relearn.  Took it out for a quick check and slowly opened it up close to the rev. limiter a few times and all was good. Went for a ride today and once it got up to temp it started again. This time it also sputtered around 4000 rpm. Once hot, I can shut it off and it starts right up idle perfect.
Can bad gas do this? 
Once hot no swooshing or gurgling when I open the gas cap.
No O2 or CCP installed
No fuelers.
Did install a Laser chip and cat. eliminating exhaust about 50,000 miles ago
Thoughts or a list of possibilities I can check

TIA

1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

Went for a ride yesterday. Bike fired right up with good idle. After about an hour's ride I cracked the throttle and @ 6200 it started to sputter. Made it home fine but every time I opened it up it would pop and sputter at that same rpm. Let it cool down and did a TB relearn.  Took it out for a quick check and slowly opened it up close to the rev. limiter a few times and all was good. Went for a ride today and once it got up to temp it started again. This time it also sputtered around 4000 rpm. Once hot, I can shut it off and it starts right up idle perfect.
Can bad gas do this? 
Once hot no swooshing or gurgling when I open the gas cap.
No O2 or CCP installed
No fuelers.
Did install a Laser chip and cat. eliminating exhaust about 50,000 miles ago
Thoughts or a list of possibilities I can check

TIA

Afternoon  taylor1

That  chip sort of complicates the diagnosis.  Not that it's bad, just changes things a bit.

You might have a spark plug issue just starting to show up so a new set of plugs would probably be a good starting point. 

Or possibly a coil issue.

It could also be the start of a fuel flow issue so might be a small pin hole in the high pressure U shaped hose inside the fuel tank. 

Or even possibly a fuel filter starting to plug. 

It doesn't sound like a water-in-fuel deal but you can't completely rule that out.

Probably run a tank or two of fuel through it just to eliminate that, then if still a problem put new spark plugs in it, if still an issue the maybe run a hot-fuel fuel return hose flow test. 

You can measure the plug wire & coil secondary resistance as a big loop (one plug wire plug end terminal to the other side plug end terminal.  

Thanks DR   I'll start with new plugs and some fresh gas. I assume it would not hurt to put a little additive in to remove any water if there is some. I kind of thought that could be my problem as I had filled just a few days ago. I have never been into the tank, and it has had non ethanol 99% for the last 12 years

Just an update. Put new plugs in and went for a couple hour ride. Bike is running great again. The old plugs still looked good, but I know looks can be deceiving. I don't know why, but when things start to act up, the worst scenario always pops into my head. Thank goodness for the levelheaded expertise this site has to offer. Many thanks once again DR
Thanks for your reply also, JIM. I did check what you mentioned

• Like 2