IGNORED

Lithium battery

Balibeemer

I’m thinking of fitting my 2002 R 1150 RT with a lithium battery. I realize that I will have to get a specific charger and other bits. Any advice/comments?

I had on in my R1100S for awhile. Didn't really like it. It had a hard time during the mildest cold snap. I might consider one if I lived WAY south (like Miami), but even her in North Florida it gets too cold for it to function properly.

5 hours ago, Balibeemer said:

I’m thinking of fitting my 2002 R 1150 RT with a lithium battery. I realize that I will have to get a specific charger and other bits. Any advice/comments?

Morning  Balibeemer

Others have done it, to me not enough gain to justify the cost & the cold cranking problems. 

If you live (and ride) in a cold climate, or intend to ride in, or through, a very cold area then either don't go that route or get the highest amp lithium battery that will fit it in your battery box. 

I ride with a group of off-roaders & some of them have tried the lithium battery but on colder mornings (frost on the seats) we usually end up having to jump start a couple of those darn things.  

A neighbor had one in his 916 Ducati and it seemed to be a fussy hassle of a battery and didn't always have enough cranking power to fire his bike.  That waved off any interest on my part.  I guess if I was hard core racing, or had a dedicated track bike, and wanted to save every last ounce of weight on the bike, I'd consider going Lithium Ion.  I'm of the stick with a flooded and AGM battery opinion.

I have one in my GS because it came to me that way. I’m in the PNW and ride year round. It definitely cranks slower when cold, but I find turning on the ignition/lights for a minute before trying to crank will help. 

I have ridden that bike below freezing but not sure I’ve even tried to start it that cold (it lives in a garage that usually stays up to 40-45 degrees when it’s freezing out). 

It is pretty impressive how small and light they are, but I don’t think either matters on my 500 lb bike :)

(and I suspect cold starts aren’t a big concern for the op)