IGNORED

Giant Loop Armadillo Fuel Bag Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Giant Loop Armadillo Fuel Bag intro

If you’re trying to leave the beaten path far behind, one of the biggest limiting factors may be your bike’s fuel capacity. While many motorcycles have options for a larger aftermarket tank, the costs and labor required for installation can be a deterrent. Giant Loop’s Armadillo portable fuel bladders offer a fantastic alternative. These soft fuel bladders are made with an inner TPU liner, an abrasion-resistant outer layer, with a pouring spout that conveniently packs away into an integrated pocket. The Armadillo comes in a variety of sizes from one to five gallons and rolls up tightly when not in use.

Giant Loop Armadillo Fuel Bag 1

I added one to the kit aboard my KTM 690 Enduro before arriving in Mexico, and it turned out to be one of the most important upgrades I made—even allowing me to keep up with larger bikes. If you’ve ever ridden in Mexico, you know that gas stops can be few and far between. However, even just the two-gallon bag was enough to give me a total fuel capacity of 23 liters, putting the relatively small bike on par with its much larger counterparts, all whilst still being, when it wasn’t in use, a compact addition to the existing luggage setup.

Giant Loop Armadillo Fuel Bag 2

Things to be aware of, such as the learning curve when filling it up, and I don’t mean at the pump. When the bag is full, it can be awkward to pour without spilling, but a little patience and practice can easily resolve this. Also, changes in temperature or altitude can cause notable expansion of the bladder as the gas reacts, putting stress on the welds. With that in mind, make sure you give the Armadillo some room to expand, to prolong its life and durability.

Although the Armadillo is inherently tough and has an incredibly low failure rate, if you are prone to dropping your bike I recommend carefully thinking about where you mount the bladder to reduce the likelihood of damage. Luckily the Armadillo is equipped with webbing and multiple attachment points to make this as easy as possible, regardless of your setup. But note, while the TPU inner bladder is great for gasoline resistance, it is not rated as a long-term fuel storage or transport device. All in all, Giant Loop's Armadillo fuel bags are an innovative and space efficient way to extend your bike's range as needed.  For more info, check out  GiantLoopMoto.com

MSRP: $99.99–199.99 (1, 2, 3, and 5 gallons)

PROS:

• Compact/lightweight
  • Includes pouring spout
  • Variety of size options
  • Integrated webbing for mounting

CONS:

• Not intended for long-term fuel storage
  • Needs regular venting in certain conditions

{youtube}NspzeDI0KG8{/youtube}

View the full article