IGNORED

Visit to new Indy BMW m/c dealer

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

The new dealer is owned by the Penske organization under the name Tom Wood Powersports.  Not sure about the Penske affiliation but Penske bought longtime Indy car dealerships and still operate them as Tom Wood.

Anywho... I stopped by in person because I called soon after I got the recall letter re: water in the swingarm.  No callback.  I went on their website and tried to book a service appointment.  No joy.  Today, I learned why.  They can't get driveshafts for bikes needing replacement.  There's a formula based on mileage that determines exactly what service is to be provided.  I can't remember it all or precisely but for my GS with ca. 20k, the shaft is exposed and a fixture of some type is attached to "test" the shaft and couplings.  

Was advised to call after the new year to see if they have shafts in stock as they don't want to have disassebled bikes hanging around waiting parts which sounds logical.

Overall, the dealership is very upscale.  Showroom looks like 5k sq' with a fair assortment of '21 models but more of the big iron, 1600s/1800s than RTs plus a handful of GS'.   

Their failure to call back is not excused by a lack of drive shafts. Neither is putting the burden on you to check back to see if/when they might be re-supplied.  If they don't keep track of customers needing the work, how will they know how many driveshafts might be needed?

John Ranalletta
3 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Their failure to call back is not excused by a lack of drive shafts. Neither is putting the burden on you to check back to see if/when they might be re-supplied.  If they don't keep track of customers needing the work, how will they know how many driveshafts might be needed?

Agreed, but IMO the dealership managment staff might be lacking in business acumen.  The fellow I spoke with seems like a good guy, but the dealership is shorthanded like a lot of businesses today.

If I was a BMW dealer, I'd want BMW to provide a list of all owners within 100 miles of my dealership to whom letters were sent.  I'd call or write to each one immediately to make a connection and keep them up to date.  But, that's just me.

• Like 3
John Ranalletta

In my experience, BMW dealerships are as sterile as an operating room.  Can't say it still's the same, but there was an HD dealer in south Indy.  The dealership always had a a crowd on the weekends.  Stop by for cookies, to chat, to look at the bikes, get parts...

The original owner of my GS bought it from the former Holt BMW dealership in Athens, OH.  I don't know why Holt is no longer a dealer, but I have an opinion.

image.png.3349c7ae8f2bfa4ca9b90b45fc4aac16.png

https://www.athensnews.com/culture/special_sections/a-picasso-of-motorcycle-painting-operates-just-outside-of-athens/article_e3109992-e0a9-5e3a-8bc5-049f52c45e3f.html

image.png.3bc673bb4bc8eb0d90b3128762dab9b3.png

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
17 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Can't read the link without answering a survey. Nope.

Strange.  I got to the page straight away.

16 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Strange.  I got to the page straight away.

Could be because I am using my phone rather than the laptop.