IGNORED

Dog Day Afternoon

TEWKS

Yesterday was an interesting day at work. (FD if it’s not been mentioned :spittake:) One bite (wait for it) into lunch when we get a call for two service dogs locked in a car. They weren’t left in the car, the owner unintentionally locked the keys in the vehicle with them inside. We were able to get them out pretty quickly and not that it matters but, I doubt they were any kind of service dogs. Some people know key words to use. (we would have gone no matter)

The second call a bit later was just up the street from the first. A lady was out walking her elderly small pooch when two pit bulls viciously attacked her and her dog. This lady had some major wounds fighting off the two trying to save her dog. All she kept asking “is my dog going to die”  I mean all out, full throttle concern for her dog over herself. :(  At the time not knowing, I asked what kind of dogs were they?  ( thinking we just freed them :facepalm: ) It wasn’t the same ones from earlier. 

Anyway, we got her all bandaged up just as the ambulance arrived so I went in to check on her dog. Both sides of her were ripped open with a big chunk of flesh missing on one side. (similar to the lady’s arm)  I wrapped the dog with a trauma dressing and took it out to the family vehicle for transport to the only open emergency vet in Woburn. I think with the dog being elderly, the outcome probably won’t be a good one. 

Knowing the neighborhood but only guessing at first, which house the dogs came out of, I nailed it. There’s always one, everywhere ya go.

Hey kid, does your dog bite?

No, he's really nice.

Guy leans in to pet the dog, dog bites him.

Hey kid, I thought you said your dog doesn't bite!

It's not my dog.

Tewks, a big high and then a big low in your story, sorry you had to deal with the low.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

I'd have a big bag o'nickels....... 

and less than 10 fingers

IMHO Pitbulls should be eradicated 

The owner should be charged with elderly abuse. 

5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

and less than 10 fingers

The owner should be charged with elderly abuse. 

I certainly hope she sues them anyway. They aren’t trustworthy dogs IMO, but, I lean more towards the owners being eradicated. :java:

25 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Nope.

All of Micheal Vicks pitbulls were placed and were doing fine until the last one finally died in 2021.

https://nypost.com/2017/07/08/how-michael-vicks-pit-bulls-changed-animal-rescue-forever/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cherry-garcia-rehabilitated-michael-vick-fighting-pit-bull-gets-best-day_n_579626dfe4b02d5d5ed2329b

A dog is a reflection of it's owner.  No matter the breed, a dog can turn, shepards, labs, pits, any can turn.  Don't get sucked into the media that Pit's are bad dogs.

Most people can't even recognize a pit bull and many attacks have been attributed to pits, yet, dog was not a pit bull.

https://www.k9rl.com/can-identify-pitbull/

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

It does seem like the fault lies with lazy owners 98% of the time. Which in turn causes the breed to be demonized. And when it does happen, the owners always seem to be cut from the same cloth. 

Just now, MichiganBob said:

Just an aside. Do you ever get calls to get a cat out of a tree? If you do, what is your response?

Have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree?

They'll find their way down,.......

Quote from "Ninja Jim"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MichiganBob said:

Just an aside. Do you ever get calls to get a cat out of a tree? If you do, what is your response

Oh I have a story bout that. :classic_biggrin:

edit… Richard stole my thunder! :D

Recently we had a weak Captain on duty, or the lady was pretty, IDK :dontknow: :spittake: but he ordered a cat rescue. I wasn’t there but they needed the ladder truck so it was fairly high up in the tree. I guess he grabbed the cat and what do scared cats do? Yeah, it turned and started clawing the shit out of him! He dropped the cat, the cat didn’t land on its feet, the cat died, yup right in front of its owner. :ohboy: So the new official response is the same a Jim’s old one. :classic_biggrin:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of “Jim” and Pit bulls. My retired Captain buddy is and has been a Pit bull guy for as long as I’ve known him. He knows the breed well. He recently adopted one “which should have been put down”. Like I said, he knows dogs but this animal a few days into ownership turned on him. Jim said out of the blue, the dog looked at him funny and instantly latched on to his leg. Jim’s actually one of the strongest men I know and it took all he had to free himself from the dog’s jaw.

I guess the agency lied about the dog to get it into a new home. (as far as never biting before) Anyway, I guess the moral to that story is be cautious adopting an older dog that may have a sketchy past. i.e. abuse. Sucks to say but that was proof enough for me.

Here’s his new girl. Very sweet when I met her. She’s got really great hearing I guess. :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.a09214428c3cfa611dd768b12e203c80.jpeg

• Like 2

We had adopted a mutt that I didn't really want, and honestly didn't really trust, but the kids were rebounding from losing the long time family dog, so I was overruled. About a month in I heard screaming from the kitchen, I jump out of bed and it has my wife cornered trying to attack her. She was feeding it as she does every day and it  chomped her arm, she got it off but it was in attack mode.

I've never kicked anything that hard, much less a dog. That MF'er went sailing.

I got hold of it, immediately brought it in and had it put down and tested for rabies, came back negative. It's lucky I took it in and didn't strangle it on the spot.

We vet new dogs much more carefully now when getting new.

I'm not a pitbull guy, but I'm not biased against them either. I am very biased against owners that have no business having a dog.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Had a buddy years ago that adopted a malamute who appeared to be a great dog. One morning the dog came into the bedroom, was growling/snarling and wouldn't let he or his wife out of bed. He reached over to the bedside table for his .357 and solved the problem. 

On the other hand, Spirit.. one the best documented pit bulls that ever lived.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

We had adopted a mutt that I didn't really want, and honestly didn't really trust, but the kids were rebounding from losing the long time family dog, so I was overruled. About a month in I heard screaming from the kitchen, I jump out of bed and it has my wife cornered trying to attack her. She was feeding it as she does every day and it  chomped her arm, she got it off but it was in attack mode.

I've never kicked anything that hard, much less a dog. That MF'er went sailing.

I got hold of it, immediately brought it in and had it put down and tested for rabies, came back negative. It's lucky I took it in and didn't strangle it on the spot.

We vet new dogs much more carefully now when getting new.

I'm not a pitbull guy, but I'm not biased against them either. I am very biased against owners that have no business having a dog.

When my first grandson was born, one of the first things I did when the boy was xx months old was lay my Rottie down, then lay the boy on top of the dog.  When the dog tried to get up, I made her stay down with the boy on top.....I dunno if this was proper way to do it, but my Rottie was good with the kids.

The chain needs to be established early and forcefully, after that, the dog should know its place,........but, just like humans, they can snap at anytime.

My dog policy is this, if you enter my house uninvited and the dog bites you, it’s your fault. 
Anything outside of that something went wrong somewhere and the dog owner owns it. If I had a dog that “if let loose” would attack animals or people on sight, it’d be put down like yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
11 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

If I had a dog that “if let loose” would attack animals or people on sight, it’d be put down like yesterday.

And I would consider you a responsible dog owner.:18:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Nope, not misunderstood, mishandled......but you can believe the negativity all you want........if said enough, people believe it.

As many pits and rotties as I've been around, I've never been bitten.....many owners are the same way, but you won't read too much about that, just the occasional bad one that the media will sensationalize to make it look like pits are bad, rotties are bad, tosa's are bad, blah, blah, blah

Been bitten by more punt dogs than real dogs.

https://kdvr.com/news/nationalworld-news/pit-bulls-went-from-americas-best-friend-to-public-enemy-now-theyre-slowly-coming-full-circle/

The only skin-breaking dog bite I ever got was from a Cocker Spaniel ... and a 5-year-old me earned that face bite.

I have had great German Shepherds and am now in love with anything downline from Mastiff ... including Pit Bulls. They are so affectionate, loyal and peaceful that it is hard to resist.  I had a genuine drugged-up threat at my gate and the 110-pound pit-shepherd that had never shown an ounce of aggression looked like the junk-yard-dog ... saved my hide. He is among the best dogs I have ever known. A real sweetheart, affection-driven dog, but now I know he will cover my 6 if he thinks I am at risk. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Been bitten by more punt dogs than real dogs

Another Jim story. :) Way back when, don’t remember the year but the town was in financial trouble. They closed our North St. Fire station so we (firefighters) handed out fliers to inform the North residents that railway tracks had the potential of delaying an emergency response up to ten minutes.  
I was walking a neighborhood with Jim when one of those “punt” dogs came after him. He cocked his boot for the punt just as the owner came running off her porch. I told Jim to forget that one! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Just an aside. Do you ever get calls to get a cat out of a tree? If you do, what is your response?

More than I can recall over my 30 year career. A few memorable ones though. 

One hilarious one was to get a young cat off the roof of a house where it had been for a couple days. We sent the rookie up the ladder to get it, he managed to catch the frightened cat and was trying to control it as he got back on the ladder to bring it down. It was very agitated at that point and bit into his hand through his thick leather gloves. His reaction was to jerk his hand away which sent the cat sailing off the roof to the ground. It landed, took a couple of fleeing steps then vaulted the fence not to be seen again. Don't know if it ever returned home.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 10/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, MichiganBob said:

Do you ever get calls to get a cat out of a tree?

Or a bear?

mistake.jpg.f3d047ed90a08da955ab9f1150ab3d70.jpg

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

That one would most definitely be a wait and see! :java: :classic_biggrin: 

Nah,....use one of these:

Photo-04A-1024x499.jpg

to get one of these:

Lot Detail - Authentic Vintage Black Bear Skin Rug

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

That would make for some bad press, way worse than a dropped kitty ever could! :)

Way worse! You can kill good guys, bad guys, innocent people in the movies, but hurt one dog...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Way worse! You can kill good guys, bad guys, innocent people in the movies, but hurt one dog...

And John Wick will be coming for ya

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Update on the story. The little dog didn’t make it. :( I guess a few days after the mauling they had to put her down. Again, being an elderly dog probably played a role in that.

Second part to the story is the attacking dogs were taken in for quarantine. The more viscous of the two scaled a six foot chain link fence and somehow squeezed between some ceiling tiles and went after the dog officer. She didn’t have her gun at the time so she grabbed a garden hose and was able to somehow gain control of the animal again.

Sounds like a dangerousness hearing is going to take place to determine their fate. Should be an easy decision.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:54 AM, MikeB60 said:

Yep they are vicious...not. This one is 60 percent pit.  image000000(1).thumb.jpg.d1f43dbcc1d0516992259fecfeed1b5a.jpg

Hmmm ... the one one the right, or the one on the left.🤔

Hey, just checkin' to be sure! 🙄😁😎

4 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Hmmm ... the one one the right, or the one on the left.🤔

Hey, just checkin' to be sure! 🙄😁😎

Good question, the one on the left did steal the bone!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Good question, the one on the left did steal the bone!

I was wondering what he was holding, the pup doesn’t appear amused. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I was wondering what he was holding, the pup doesn’t appear amused. :classic_biggrin:

Kinda like the puppy's saying "Oh God NO, not this 'hide the bone' shit again!". 🤣🤣😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dog psychology 101 says he’s thinking “how do I get my bone back and still get to snuggle on the couch tonight” :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

She was ok with it!  Willie brought it to the dog in the first place.

• Like 2