IGNORED

vent hose leakage

steveg

I've got gas dripping from my vent hose on my 2000 R1100RT ,canister removed in case you're wondering. I did a fuel filter 2 years ago and it looked like the hoses had been changed so I left as is,anyone have this happen and what is the solution.

Thanks

Steve G

You know what the answer is...  You're going to have to pull the gas tank off to at least examine the inside of the fuel pump plate.  If you have been using non-ethanol gas, there is a chance that the submerged vent hoses might still be okay. Perhaps the hose connection at the pump plate is loose.  If you go to all that trouble, you might as well put new vent hoses on. Don't use worm clamps - use the proper hose clamps or the oetiker clamps.

1 hour ago, steveg said:

I've got gas dripping from my vent hose on my 2000 R1100RT ,canister removed in case you're wondering. I did a fuel filter 2 years ago and it looked like the hoses had been changed so I left as is,anyone have this happen and what is the solution.

Thanks

Steve G

Morning Steve 

Is the dripping continuous (with a partially full tank) or does it just drip after filling the tank to the very top then stop dripping after a little fuel is used out of the tank? 

21 hours ago, steveg said:

Constant

Morning Steve 

OK, as Michaelr11 said that means you will need dig into the tank and deal with it.

Or if you don't have the time right now you can raise the leaking vent hose exit above the top of the tank to still allow tank venting but not allow fuel to leak out. 

A good way to do that is to route the vent hose up high (above tank top), then put a TEE with new hose extension on it going to the same (behind R/H foot peg) location. Then put a cap (with venting hole in it) on the 3rd open TEE port. That 3rd port needs to be the highest thing, or add a short higher hose with a vent hole cap. 

That allows excess fuel (from an overfill) or tank fuel expansion to flow out behind the riders foot peg but the high TEE with a vent acts like a siphon breaker to prevent the low hose exit from siphoning the fuel out through the leaking internal tank hose.   (kind of crude but it does work until you can make proper repairs)

• Plus 1 1

Thanks for that info but I'm gonna open the tank and replace the hoses so as to not have issues in the future, I ordered the hoses and clamps from EME

19 minutes ago, steveg said:

Thanks for that info but I'm gonna open the tank and replace the hoses so as to not have issues in the future, I ordered the hoses and clamps from EME

Morning Steve 

A little helpful hint__ If you tie a string on the free end of each of those hoses BEFORE you pull them out it makes getting the new hoses back through the tank innards much easier.  

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Yes I  did think of that. I noticed that the nipple inside the tank for the filler drain was clogged with rust and that's the one that was dripping any ideas how the gas got through there to drip out

11 hours ago, steveg said:

Yes I  did think of that. I noticed that the nipple inside the tank for the filler drain was clogged with rust and that's the one that was dripping any ideas how the gas got through there to drip out

Morning  steveg

To leak out the lower hose then gasoline must have somehow wicked it's way through the rust. Or possibly the lower hoses didn't hook to the pass-through fitting that you think they did.