IGNORED

low mileage r1150r

SANTA

I have the opportunity to buy a very low mileage r1150r,  id actually was searching for a r1200r but this  just popped up 2004, 15k km been in storage for 5 yrs.  it was pulled out of storage earlier this summer  and has been in use,.

my only concern is what effect sitting for 5 yrs would have on the nickasil lining in the bore?

my previous experience with a 2003 r1100s  means that theres not much on this bike i haven't had to deal with, so whats the verdict?

7 hours ago, SANTA said:

I have the opportunity to buy a very low mileage r1150r,  id actually was searching for a r1200r but this  just popped up 2004, 15k km been in storage for 5 yrs.  it was pulled out of storage earlier this summer  and has been in use,.

my only concern is what effect sitting for 5 yrs would have on the nickasil lining in the bore?

my previous experience with a 2003 r1100s  means that theres not much on this bike i haven't had to deal with, so whats the verdict?

Morning  SANTA

The nikasil cylinder lining will probably be the least of you worries as not much can damage it. I have seen a number of improperly long-term stored BMW boxer bikes & haven't seen the cylinder walls as being a problem.  

I would be way more worried about the fueling system parts due to long term storage with alcohol containing gasoline. Just because they got it running after storge doesn't mean that the fuel system is not going to cause you big problems in the future. 

Yep....what DR said.  A bike sitting 5 years is going to require a lot of maintenance and parts replacements as he listed.  Additionally brake cylinders, master cylinders----seals and o rings will likely be problematic.  If it is rubber e.g. fuel lines, brake lines, vacuum lines, tires...count on replacing them.

Nikasil cylinders are really tough.  I have (in my past) pulled airplane nikasil cylinders that had sat for more than 10 years that looked new.  Valves, yes...cylinders likely fine.  

Living in the Northeast our riding season is almost over.  A bike like that can be looked at quite closely in a heated garage over the Winter months.  It would be easy enough to take apart and go through.  So depending on your situation it may be a good deal or a nightmare.  

If it’s really a good price and it’s running well now, I’d go for it. (Unless you really want the 1200.)

It’s going to be almost all the same systems as the S, like you said. My ‘04 S had been just parked in a garage for some time when I bought it. The fuel system was mostly ok (I did replace the filter and u bend hose but mostly because I was already in the tank to look around), though the brake system was full of sludge. That’s not hard to sort either - other than the abs unit, which yours might not have anyway.