IGNORED

Big Agnes Larkspur Jacket Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Big Agnes Larkspur Jacket Review intro

Big Agnes Larkspur: A Jacket that Covers it All

There’s much to consider when buying an insulated jacket that fits over or under body armor or serves as a riding insulator that’s also suitable for off the bike use. There are many offerings and factors to consider, especially with riding styles that range from hyper-active to simple day-to-day use. Let’s take a look at Big Agnes’ Larkspur jacket/hoodie.

The Larkspur is light and compact, so it is easily packed for both long and short trips. I found it worked for all my needs on and off the bike, too. The jacket provides a regular fit; it’s not too athletic and tight. It has adequate room for comfort, but it’s not so relaxed that it can’t be used for activewear. The style and design lean toward being casual in public, unlike most motorcycle jackets that are bulky, armored, and reflective. In addition, the Larkspur jacket has features such as a hood, thumb holes in the sleeve’s wrist areas, drawstring adjusters, and zipped pockets to accommodate for multiple weather changes or conditions.

Big Agnes Larkspur Jacket 1

When riding the backroads and highways of Mexico during February, I found it kept my core and arms warm while not letting me overheat. The outer material is wind-resistant, preventing moving air from stripping away built-up heat, an important feature when motorcycling. It also fits under some types of armor without excess material getting in the way, making it comfortable to wear as an under-layer. Additionally, the sleeves' thumb holes are large enough to use with riding gloves as well as helping to block air or water from creeping up the sleeves. It’s a well-thought-out touch.

The Larkspur ticks many boxes, with the ability to function in most situations and conditions. Having one jacket for so many of my needs helps make packing easier, too. I’ve never been more satisfied with a jacket, and plan to wear it throughout the year in all manner of conditions.

BigAngnes.com

MSRP: $229.95

PROS:

• Lightweight, very packable and fits into its own pocket
  • Although it’s branded as a winter jacket, it’s versatile and can be used for other seasons and weather changes
  • The outer material is thick and wind-resistant, preventing any warmth from being stripped away

CONS:

• Being so light, it offers little road rash protection, and shouldn’t be used in place of a proper riding jacket
  • Ensure you properly size yourself to get a jacket that fits; this jacket is not one size fits all
  • Limited range of motion around shoulder when at full extension of arms, particular with extreme movement

View the full article