12RT Clutch recall

penquino

Picked up my new 12RT a month ago and just found out it's on the list for the recall, and am I pissed. They checked and said it had no out standing recalls even though this recall came out in March. Has anyone had this recall done and how did it turn out?? The dealer is sympathetic and is willing to take the bike back. Looking for advise on what direction I should take. Thanks

Picked up my new 12RT a month ago and just found out it's on the list for the recall, and am I pissed. They checked and said it had no out standing recalls even though this recall came out in March. Has anyone had this recall done and how did it turn out?? The dealer is sympathetic and is willing to take the bike back. Looking for advise on what direction I should take. Thanks

If the dealer has the parts, it is a days work and the bike is as new afterwards. What issues could there be? Recalls are there to put right issues found after delivery and are for your protection. Get the work done and enjoy the bike.

Andy

aggieengineer

This is a tough one you'll have to figure out for yourself. If you look through the subjects in the hexheads section, you see that there significant reliability problems with this bike - clutch, brakes, ABS, final drive, cruise control, and the mysterious electrical problems that seem to stop everything. While this model is only two years old, there's no bleeding edge technology in the design. The owners are dealing with the inconvenience, some expense, and occasional danger of being the beta testers on the R1200RT. As long as everything works, the bike is an absolute dream to ride. With the exception of the horn and turn signal switch placement, everything just feels perfect when I ride this machine. I love it. On the other hand I don't really trust it to get me home like I did with my previous bike, a Yamaha. The fact that the dealer is willing to take the bike back is a big chip in the game, and a big relief, I'm sure. There's probably no wrong answer here. Check the other BMW touring sites for additional information, and good luck with your decision.

This is a tough one you'll have to figure out for yourself. If you look through the subjects in the hexheads section, you see that there significant reliability problems with this bike - clutch, brakes, ABS, final drive, cruise control, and the mysterious electrical problems that seem to stop everything.
Wow, what a statement. Context - by the very nature of this list, we are more tuned into our bikes and their foibles than most. Also the examples of "poor reliability" are usually based on one or two members posting about their problem (yes, there are exceptions). There are a large group of R12RT owners who have had exactly zero problems - I'm one. I know it's probably impossible to calculate, but I'd be interested in a percent failure rate on these various issues.

This is a tough one you'll have to figure out for yourself. If you look through the subjects in the hexheads section, you see that there significant reliability problems with this bike - clutch, brakes, ABS, final drive, cruise control, and the mysterious electrical problems that seem to stop everything.

I have to disagree with you on the reliability of the R1200RT. Some people have had problems, bit if you go to any brand spacific forum you will read about problems weather it's Honda, Harley, Yamaha or what-have-you. I have an '05 that has 20,000 VERY hard miles on it, This bike has spent most of its life at redline, being ridden like a sportbike on the mountain twistys. It has been absolutly reliable and I would ride it anywhere at any time.

I live on the Blue Ridge Parkway so I have opertuneity to meet a lot of riders and have not met one 1200RT rider who has had significant problems, so don't let stuff posted on a forum be your guide to the overall reliability of a certain brand or bike, if you do you wont buy anything because the will ALL look like crap.

Marty Hill

I love the phrase "beta testers". So easy to throw out. I had one of the first 1150RT's and one of the first 1200GS's. Both were flawless for the 33k miles I rode them. Most people would say the same. There are always a small number of failures, and yes sometimes they happen to our friends.

I would get the work done and not worry about. I have not had a new vehicle in years that hasn't been subject to a recall of some sort or other. For example my 03 Murano was recalled for alternator, seat belt clips and some sort of plastic shield for the gas tank. My 02 VFR was recalled for alternator, rear sub frame and brakes. It doesn't make me think less of either of them.

I have to say I don't agree with this. There have been some problems but any vehicle will have some problems. I wouldn't hesitate to ride mine anywhere (and I am planning to do just that!).

This is a tough one you'll have to figure out for yourself. If you look through the subjects in the hexheads section, you see that there significant reliability problems with this bike

There is simply no reason to make a blanket statement about "significant reliability problems" with the R1200RT. My 2005 has had zero problems, and my experience has resulted in absolutely no nits to pick. In fact, I can't even find fault with my ambient temperature guage, it seem accurate enough. I'm not even using oil, I seem somehow left out! Anyway, kudo's to BMW for being on top of the issues out there, and there are no reasons for worrying about recall fixes. Get 'em, and enjoy the ride for years to come.

I think it's a tough call. If the mechanic does an extremely conscientious job then the bike will be in good condition after the major teardown required to service the clutch, if not then potential problems may be injected. That is the simple reality.

While others will obviously disagree, I personally wouldn't be willing to have a brand new bike torn down and reassembled to that extent. The odds are probably in your favor that everything will be done correctly but the undeniable (and not insignificant) potential exists that it might not. And if any related problems occur 20k miles or a year or two later just try to prove that they are related to the original repair...

I know many will see that view as harsh but I think it's also realistic.

When you see posts on a board like this, you are always going to see most of them related to some sort of problem. That is why we come here, to help one another out and learn. The reported problems here or on other boards is not indicative of the reliability of the machine. The only problems listed in boards that I would be concerned about are the ones that have hundreds of responses with "me too" in them which would indicate a broader issue.

I have had my 06 since March with 2k on it and have had zero problems. I feel I can depend on the bike as much or more as any bike I have ever owned.

--russ

aggieengineer

I've owned my '06 RT since February, and have had no problems whatsoever. That being said, there have been at least two recalls issued during my four months of ownership - the clutch and brakes. Were these recalls initiated (at considerable expense) for insignificant problems? There is a certain pride-of-ownership that comes with a bike like this, and it's certainly easy to be dismissive about failures that occur to other peoples machines, but when it's your bike that won't start, stop, or whatever, I bet it becomes "significant".

Tom

I would take the bike in and have them do the work. So far in owning my 05 RT for about 6 months I had an issue with the fuel sending unit the first month(first time I ran out of gas in 12 yrs. or so). The dealer replaced the part and everything has been perfect so far. This bike is an absolute dream to ride. It is the only bike you can buy with a 3 yr. warranty which is huge in my mind. I would take it in have them fix it and if you have major issues after that then have a conversation with your dealer. Sounds like they want you to be happy. My .02 worth.

Marty Hill

Doubt that I'd opt for a new bike with that recall to be done. Not sure I understand what the problem would be 20k or a year out. Still under wty/no?

That being said, there have been at least two recalls issued during my four months of ownership - the clutch and brakes.

Sarmand, one of the recalls you mention was not really a recall at all. It was a brake "Inspection" prompted largely by an asshat going by the name oprahazard who mounted a worldwide slam of BMW brakes and stirred up so much crap that BMW agreed to look at every bike mainly to reassure the owners that everything was in fact OK. No work or actual repairs were performed on the brake system (except on a very few bikes to slightly relocate the front ABS wire) and nothing was found wrong with any of the bikes inspected (at huge expense to BMW I'm sure)

Sarmand, one of the recalls you mention was not really a recall at all.
Actually, it is a recall. Check out the official DOT notice here.
Picked up my new 12RT a month ago and just found out it's on the list for the recall,

Ok, I'm aware of the brake recall, but not a clutch recall. Who has the skinny on the clutch recall or are we getting a bit mixed up here.

Picked up my new 12RT a month ago and just found out it's on the list for the recall,

Ok, I'm aware of the brake recall, but not a clutch recall. Who has the skinny on the clutch recall or are we getting a bit mixed up here.

The "clutch recall" wasn't an official DOT recall. Check out this Advrider thread.
Picked up my new 12RT a month ago and just found out it's on the list for the recall, and am I pissed.

Maybe I'm missing something here. BMW has found there is a problem, and is willing to make it right at no cost to you.

And you're annoyed about that??? Give your head a shake, man!

Bob.

I have had my 05 Rt about a year now with absolutely no problems. I had a new GL1800 and as far as reliablity had no problems but wasn't there a frame cracking issue? I think Honda has had there fair share of problems also with the St1300 including recalls. I don't think the Japanese bikes are perfect.

New1200RTRider

I love my 05 1200 RT and have had zero problems. Every brand of bike or cars will have some problems, that why manufactures have Warranties and BMW has the best factory warranty.

Thanks guys for all you input. For those of you who did'nt know of the recall , it's #06v104000. Just go to the NHTSA web site. The real big piss off is that this bike, according to letters from BMW, should never have been realized to me the customer but when I picked it up , the dealed checked the data base and it was clear of all recalls.The recall came out in March and I bought the bike at the end of April. I will probably get the recall done, mainly because of avoiding any more financial impacts or take a leap and trade up to the new GT. Either way, this is not what I envisioned when I bought the bike.(the RT is my third BMW)

I've owned my '06 RT since February, and have had no problems whatsoever. That being said, there have been at least two recalls issued during my four months of ownership - the clutch and brakes. Were these recalls initiated (at considerable expense) for insignificant problems? There is a certain pride-of-ownership that comes with a bike like this, and it's certainly easy to be dismissive about failures that occur to other peoples machines, but when it's your bike that won't start, stop, or whatever, I bet it becomes "significant".

Sarmand,

You state you have had no problems. You have seen two recalls and I assume you have had the work done at no cost to you. I have not "dismissed" anyone's problems and in fact take note of them for reference. The fact is, every car or bike I have owned had a recall at one time or another. BMW likely fixes many recalls on the bikes at the dealer before selling them and they are still new bikes!

Everyone's immediate problem is "significant" to them at that moment, of that I have no doubt. My statements are about the overall likelihood you will have one of those moments. Statistically speaking you can't derive a fair reliability statement from the posts you see here. It is unfair to other riders and BMW to scaremonger. It is by far more likely that you will see posts here about problems, especially in this specific sub-forum since this is where one comes for advice on problems and to help others.

Geez man, chill out and enjoy your reliable machine.

I say, if you trust your shop, have your recall done and go riding.

I picked up my 1200RT a year ago and now have 13000 on it. Mostly ridden hard and fast. Yes there has been a few issues, charging system recall, a cover or something. But it was kind of nice for me.. I mean that the dealer gave me a loaner bike... come on.. they are letting me ride another machine that I don't need to buy to experance, plus... THEY WASH MY BIKE!!!!! clap.gifclap.gif I am sure it is just becuse of how handsome I look upon a clean steed... grin.gif

My thoughts to the nay sayers.... lighten up, or go get something else. If you are truly not happy with the bike, get rid of it. dopeslap.gif Or possably the enjoyment is hightened by the grousing.. thats OK too...I guess. I just have better things to do..

.... and BMW has the best factory warranty.

Huh? Isn't the Honda factory warranty on touring and sport/tours 3 years and unlimited mileage?

I think BMW's is 3 years, 36K?

My 05 RT1200 blew the engine at 1900 miles. After a brief debate, BMW replaced the engine and the dealer installed it. Am still a big fan of this bike. Sometimes, stuf just happens!

. Looking for advise on what direction I should take. Thanks

Just take it in and get the service done. In 40 years of riding, I've owned a lot of bikes of various makes. Japanese, American, European.

I never had a recall with a Honda. Now.. what does that mean? That the bikes never had problems? Hell no. Honda just never admitted or fixed them. (in all fairness.. they've gotten much better about this lately.)

At least BMW seems moderately interested in rectifying the problems with their motorcycles. And, well they should for the price we pay. So.. don't curse those recalls. Respect them and get the bike repaired. Remember, a campaign recall doesn't necessarily mean YOUR bike has any issues at all, it simply means that pro-active maintenance will be performed to help prevent any failures down the road.

... my $00.02 worth. Take it at that.

Yup, if you read, for example, the tech sections in Motorcycle Consumer News, every brand and type of bike seems to have some problems sooner or later - even those that have been on the market for years, like Gold Wings.

I've whined and moaned about various niggles on my 12RT, but it's been stone reliable on thousand mile days, consecutive days of drenching rain, 90 degree heat and temps in the teens (thank you seat warmer!).

I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it right now and ride to the other end of the country if it wasn't for that damned job I have to keep to pay for gas! eek.gif

Thanks guys for all you input. For those of you who did'nt know of the recall , it's #06v104000. Just go to the NHTSA web site. The real big piss off is that this bike, according to letters from BMW, should never have been realized to me the customer but when I picked it up , the dealed checked the data base and it was clear of all recalls.The recall came out in March and I bought the bike at the end of April. I will probably get the recall done, mainly because of avoiding any more financial impacts or take a leap and trade up to the new GT. Either way, this is not what I envisioned when I bought the bike.(the RT is my third BMW)

Just wanted to point out, in case you didn't notice it, that the recall is limited to certain VIN ranges. Does yours fall in here? R 1200 RT: ZM18276 - ZM18702

One of the reasons I have now purchased two new BMW motorcycles in a row is the warranty. In Canada, I have a three year unlimited kilometre warranty backed by roadside assistance. Nobody else offers this amount of peace of mind. So I wonder what the big flap is about a recall.....

Get the clutch job done, go out and ride the bike. It is still one of the better motorcycles available today.... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived