IGNORED

Ear Phones, in Helmet

DR  Major

Looking for in earphones that work well under helmet.  I have some etymotic and they do a great job of cutting wind noise.  However, I got the $100 set and they have no low frequency.   They fit super well under a helmet.

What have you found effective in blocking wind noise and full range audio?

I have used custom molded in ear plugs/speakers for about 20+ years now.  Was an early adopter.  Just had my daily pair repaired, 195.00
My daily pair usually lasts about 4 years.  but again I commute everyday to work, plus weekend rides, START, UnRally etc.

so to me a 36-48 month usage rate is great.  Lets say the low end is 40 months, and it costs 200.00 to repair them.  Once you get past the initial cost (usually 275.00 - 350.00) it is basically 5.00 a month cost.

mine are 13 year old Earific.  Now (https://earinc.com)

We had an Earific representative in the Atlanta Area.  he was great.  went to all the local dealers open houses etc.  unfortunately he passed away about 5-7 years ago.  But he had shown me how to fill out the repair request and the web portal to send the items in for repair.  Not sure if they are the cheapest, but I enjoy their customer service and communication.  I have only sent mine in twice (in the last 5 years) but he sent them in for me about 8 years ago so I have used them 3 times.
about 4 years ago I sent them in and they returned them very quickly.  This time I asked if they could take a mold from my current plugs and make me a new pair.  They actually did that and now I have two pair.  and the new pair fits just a nice as the original pair does.

search for Bernie's posts and Bernie posted about a different company ( I think in FL) that he has had good luck with.

I'm using S-plugs also.  For some reason they didn't work for Sharon.  There is a bit of a learning curve to get them properly inserted, but once you've got it, you've got it.  In any event, they work for me.  Good noise reduction.

For a couple of years I have been using Bose QC20 wired noise cancelling earphones.  I wear a C3 Pro or an E1.  On the 1200GS or the K16GTL.  Best sound you will ever get with earplugs or any other setup IMHO.

Plugs directly into my iphone or into my Freecom 4+ for voice activated capability.  Battery lasts all day playing music with the NC on.  

The only problem will be when you get behind a vehicle and you get turbulence.  The NC doesnt know how to deal with that and will produce popping noises.  Not a problem at all in clean air.  I have the stock windscreen on both my GS and GTL.  Visor open or closed works fantastic.

For several years I've used the S-Plugs by PlugUp, as mentioned by several above. https://www.plugup.com/  They have a wide assortment of "ear buds".  They have repaired several "ear buds" for me also.

I had trouble keeping the silicone mushroom types sealed in my ears while riding with the wires pulling when I turned my head.  I've talked to several people using the custom molded type, including "randy" above.  Everyone was very positive about the comfort and wind noise blocking, whatever brand they were using.

I called Marilyn Navia at PlugUp and she recommended the custom molds as well.  image.png.71b97cc149de6b854d4d5cc5f21304c5.png

She sent the kit for making the molds.  It was very easy to do by myself, no problem.  Made two sets just to be sure (there is plenty of material for two sets in the kit)  Not messy at all.  EZPZ.  Mailed 'em back to her with the prepaid box included in the kit.

About a week later my new custom earbuds arrived in the mail.  I've only ridden once since receiving them but they are very comfortable all day long and the best "plugs" I've ever used for blocking outside (wind) noises.  I'm no audiophile and don't listen to music while riding but the Cardo chatter, cell phone, and Garmin never sounded better.

You might call her and explain your needs, see what she can recommend.

To help getting the custom "plugs" into the ears, Oto-Ease by Westone really helps.  (If you can find it)  image.png.ec1fc1df96c37db2444a6d5ddb3e5b10.png   https://www.westone.com/ 

Amazone says "Only 1 left" but they say that about most things.  Walmart has it, too, for hearing aids.  Maybe that's where it's all going.

14 hours ago, DR Major said:

How do the Shure seal?

Wind noise is a big issue

I prefer using the rubber thingys vice the foam thingy's and feel that when properly seated, windnoise is at a minimum.   But they need to be properly seated to seal out the excess that you don't want. 

Also, I'm a hearing aid wearer when off the bike, so, at speeds, these do give good sound, the only thing that is lacking is the Sena 20S that I'm using. (nother story and documented issue).

• 4 months later...
RecentConvert

I use the Shure 215's plugged into my Cardo Packtalk, bluetooth to the iPhone.  Sound is excellent, noise reduction excellent.  However, my C3 Pro fits snug and getting it over the earplugs and keeping them properly installed can be tricky.   

If plugged into the Packtalk, the microphone remains active for making calls, verbal texts, etc.  Sound is better connected directly to iPhone.

Will always sound better when hardwired over bluetooth. Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to carry music well, it was designed only as a voice transport.

1 hour ago, RecentConvert said:

I use the Shure 215's plugged into my Cardo Packtalk, bluetooth to the iPhone.  Sound is excellent, noise reduction excellent.  However, my C3 Pro fits snug and getting it over the earplugs and keeping them properly installed can be tricky.   

If plugged into the Packtalk, the microphone remains active for making calls, verbal texts, etc.  Sound is better connected directly to iPhone.

Another Shure 215 user

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Another Shure 215 user

I use the Shures as well.  I always wear a liner under my helmet that allows the helmet to slip over the earpieces without dislodging them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I use the Shures as well.  I always wear a liner under my helmet that allows the helmet to slip over the earpieces without dislodging them.

I also wear a liner it makes getting the helmet on a breeze without popping the earphones out.  I also like how the SHures go over the ear with the wire that helps to keep them in place.

4 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to carry music well, it was designed only as a voice transport.

Well that explains a lot.