IGNORED

Clutch fluid for 2013 RT?

lather

I discovered today that the clutch does not use brake fluid but Vitamol V10 mineral oil. I am not finding Vitamol and have seen on one vendor site that it has been discontinued. What is the best alternative. I have seen references to Magura Blood Blue but would like to hear from the wise men on this forum. Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, lather said:

I discovered today that the clutch does not use brake fluid but Vitamol V10 mineral oil. I am not finding Vitamol and have seen on one vendor site that it has been discontinued. What is the best alternative. I have seen references to Magura Blood Blue but would like to hear from the wise men on this forum. Thanks in advance!

Afternoon Lather

Personally I pretty well use the Magura Blood, blue hydraulic mineral oil in the 1200 boxer bikes that require mineral oil & use the Magura Blood, red hydraulic mineral oil in the K bikes that require mineral oil. 

19 hours ago, lather said:

Good Afternoon Dirtrider and thanks for the reply. Will order bottle of Blue Blood from the Boneyard.

Evening  lather

Tell BeemerBoneyard you are member of this web site  BMWSportTouring as they usually gives a little discount to members here.

I used Magura Blue Blood in my 2010 RT when I changed clutch and bled clutch master and slave. Works great, I believe Magura is or was the OEM manufacturer of Master/Slave Clutch parts for BMW. Available from Amazon and other sources online.

• lather changed the title to Clutch fluid for 2013 RT?
12 minutes ago, freetime2247 said:

Just curious how often you guys bleed the clutch and master. I've never done that on my 12RT with 52K miles.

I'm at 56K miles and not planning to bleed or replace at this time, just top off. I've had a leak for some time and the level is getting close to minimum. I've read that the mineral oil is not hydroscopic as is dot4 so regular replacement is not needed.

Edited by lather
Typos
9 minutes ago, dduelin said:

Bicycle shops are also a source for Magura Blue Blood if one is in a hurry.

Thanks, good to know. Now I remember where I've seen that name.

2 hours ago, lather said:

I'm at 56K miles and not planning to bleed or replace at this time, just top off. I've had a leak for some time and the level is getting close to minimum. I've read that the mineral oil is not hydroscopic as is dot4 so regular replacement is not needed.

Evening  lather

True it doesn't absorb moisture but any moisture that gets in will settle to the bottom (in the slave cylinder then can corrode the bore & piston).  

The mineral oil doesn't typically have moisture issues but over time in can become dark & full of garbage from the slave cylinder piston seal  and/or from the slave cylinder piston bearing grease. 

If the clutch fluid looks dark then usually time to replace it. 

Good information here. I knew mineral oil isn't hydroscopic like brake fluid. That is why I never flushed my clutch fluid. My level is good. I never did any clutch work. 10 years and 96,000 miles on my RT. Maybe I should do a flush since the topic came up.