IGNORED

Starting issue 2011 RT

ucwinters

Going to meet a friend for a ride this morning.  M/C started w/o issue and drove about 1/8 mile to friend's place.  When we got ready to leave, turned the ignition on, hit the starter switch and the engine turned over for a nanosecond and then everything went dark - display screen, no headlights, no fuel pump, no engine start.  Put the sidestand up and down a few times, cycled the kill/start switch a few times and still no display, lights nada after turning the ignition on and nothing when I hit the start switch.  Checked the battery and had good voltage.  Pulled the main battery cables off of the battery terminals and even though there was no corrosion evident, cleaned them w/ steel wool.  Reattached the battery cables (they were snug/tight before they were disconnected) and everything worked when the ignition was turned on and the m/c started.  On about the 3rd time I restarted the m/c after reattaching the cables, the display didn't illuminate but the m/c started.  Rode it home and it started okay w/ display lit up.  Just a fluke today or the beginning of a larger problem?

Thanks,

Ed W.

7 hours ago, ucwinters said:

Going to meet a friend for a ride this morning.  M/C started w/o issue and drove about 1/8 mile to friend's place.  When we got ready to leave, turned the ignition on, hit the starter switch and the engine turned over for a nanosecond and then everything went dark - display screen, no headlights, no fuel pump, no engine start.  Put the sidestand up and down a few times, cycled the kill/start switch a few times and still no display, lights nada after turning the ignition on and nothing when I hit the start switch.  Checked the battery and had good voltage.  Pulled the main battery cables off of the battery terminals and even though there was no corrosion evident, cleaned them w/ steel wool.  Reattached the battery cables (they were snug/tight before they were disconnected) and everything worked when the ignition was turned on and the m/c started.  On about the 3rd time I restarted the m/c after reattaching the cables, the display didn't illuminate but the m/c started.  Rode it home and it started okay w/ display lit up.  Just a fluke today or the beginning of a larger problem?

Thanks,

Ed W.

Morning Ed

Can't tell you much with the limited information but from past experiences they usually don't just get better by themselves. 

The first thought is poor battery cable connections but you have addressed that. 

So the next thought is the R/H side handlebar switch assembly causing problems or even the ignition switch itself acting up. 

If it happens again try pouring a very cold bottle of water on the R/H side handlebar switch assembly, if that helps get it started then that can tell you something.  

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Morning DR,

Why does cold water on the ignition switch do? I could not find out anything on the internet.

Thanks.

Morning Bob

Sure it's on the internet, just look at the post above or at some older switch, or no-start issues on this web site.

Those foil type switches on the camhead & up motorcycles had some issues with maintaining contact in warm conditions. BMW did a number of switch replacements under a good-will service campaign as well on a need-to basis as they failed, I don't think it was ever a full recall type deal but with a good dealer it just about was as they replaced the switches automatically when motorcycle was in for service. There were certain VIN ranges that had a very high incidence of switch failures & BMW recognized that so extended the free replacement time frame.  

The cold water can (not always will) cool the switch down enough to make proper contact.  It is a good first diagnosis deal as IF it works it definitely points a finger at where to look.

You might look (search for) BMW camhead 1200 handlebar switch failure or failures___ The BMW 800 GS also had a number of handlebar switch failures__  

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/79493-camhead-switch-recall/