IGNORED

smelling burnt oil

Jharpphoto

Just had the 18,000 mi service (including valves) on my 2013 RT.  I have noticed since the oil change/service the scent of burning oil while at a stop. Before the service I didn't have this burning oil smell at  a stop. I can't see any drips or leaks anywhere and I've put approx 200 miles on the bike since the oil change.  Any ideas what could be causing this?

46 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

Just had the 18,000 mi service (including valves) on my 2013 RT.  I have noticed since the oil change/service the scent of burning oil while at a stop. Before the service I didn't have this burning oil smell at  a stop. I can't see any drips or leaks anywhere and I've put approx 200 miles on the bike since the oil change.  Any ideas what could be causing this?

Afternoon Jharpphoto

Did they also change the transmission oil? If so then possibly some splashed oil on the catalytic converter, and/or it was was wiped off the cat with an oily rag. (this will eventually go away with time & riding cycles)

About all you can do is keep an eye out for oil spots on your garage floor and/or take it back to the servicing dealer & have them give it a one over for signs of oil seepage.

On 10/9/2022 at 11:36 AM, Jharpphoto said:

After you've gone for a ride, where does the oil settle on the sight glass?

All the way full - no space at the top?

I have encountered the same thing from time to time on both my hexhead and camhead. The hexhead developed a slight weep at the rear seal, and if this is a concern, you may find signs of oil/gunk build up on the front underside of the swing arm.

1 hour ago, Jharpphoto said:

Oil level still full. Service dept told me probably some oil got onto the exhaust.

Afternoon Jharpphoto

That makes sense as you said the oil smell started after the oil change service, something like a seal seeping should have been there even before the service.   

Fair enough. Unless it's just started. 200 miles seems like plenty of time for exhaust to burn off any oil - unless those miles have just been very short errands. OP should probably get on the ground and look for residue around the oil filter housing, oil pan drain plug, sight glass, and exhaust under the transmission to look for any oil residue/gunk on the lower front of the swing arm. If nothing else, it would be good to know those areas are clear now in case they aren't later.

14 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Fair enough. Unless it's just started. 200 miles seems like plenty of time for exhaust to burn off any oil - unless those miles have just been very short errands. OP should probably get on the ground and look for residue around the oil filter housing, oil pan drain plug, sight glass, and exhaust under the transmission to look for any oil residue/gunk on the lower front of the swing arm. If nothing else, it would be good to know those areas are clear now in case they aren't later.

Afternoon Indy Dave

If they got gear oil on the exhaust that stuff will smell for a long time (many miles). 

Yup - I agree. So good for the OP to do a through inspection. Right now there is nothing but speculation and assumptions.

• 2 weeks later...

I am following this, very similar to mine which also started after it went for fuel pump recall service.... since then still trying to track it down, hopefully this weekend when I do Engine and gear oil replacement.... as it is, no drips or anything