IGNORED

weeping reservoir

lather

During two trips on my 3013 RT i had trouble with my clutch reservoir weeping fluid. I had a Ram mount for my GPS that attaches to the top of the reservoir cover using two longer screws that replace two of the OEM cover screws.

I got out my tools and checked the rubber gasket which looked fine. Then gradually tightened the 3 screws in sequence. THis cured the problem for the rest of the trip. I assumed I had not properly tightened the cover screws when I first installed the ram mount.

However, on another short trip to Arkansas the weeping started again. I noticed that it occrred while riding rough roads. Now I think that thhe weight of the GPS is flexing the plastic resevoir alowing the seal to break and fluid to leak. I have now switched to a ram mount that uses one of the clucth mount clamps.

Update: Even after removing the GPS mount from the clutch reservoir cover it continued to weep when I used pulled the lever. I removed the cover and inspected the rubber gasket or boot as labled in the fiche.

It seemd to be slightly distorted and no longer set flat on the reservoir. I think this was causing a sealing failure. I have ordered a replacement but in the interim I secured the boot to the cover with some silicone sealant such that it was forced to lay flat. 

This seems to have produced a good seal as I saw no more weepage on a 50 mile test ride.

I suspect that the weight of the GPS unit on top of the reservoir caused it to flex and eventually distort the boot. I hope this post prevents other owners from having this issue.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, lather said:

Update: Even after removing the GPS mount from the clutch reservoir cover it continued to weep when I used pulled the lever. I removed the cover and inspected the rubber gasket or boot as labled in the fiche.

It seemd to be slightly distorted and no longer set flat on the reservoir. I think this was causing a sealing failure. I have ordered a replacement but in the interim I secured the boot to the cover with some silicone sealant such that it was forced to lay flat. 

This seems to have produced a good seal as I saw no more weepage on a 50 mile test ride.

I suspect that the weight of the GPS unit on top of the reservoir caused it to flex and eventually distort the boot. I hope this post prevents other owners from having this issue.

On my 2006 RT, I also had my GPS mount secured to the top of the clutch reservoir - without issue. However - the design on the hexhead was not the same - they were metal.  On the camhead,  BMW redesigned both front reservoirs - and for a period (1-2years?) the reservoirs were designed in such a way as to allow them to 'jiggle'. A further redesign eliminated the jiggle and they we mounted solid (again). My 2010 has the jiggles and I opted not to mount anything on them.

Glad you were able to resolve the issue.

I guess my point was the earlier design - the low profile metal ones were probably better suited for mounting heaver items, particularly ones that mounted up and away from the reservoir covers.

The "old" style:

20190104_171638.thumb.jpg.1f795956a35e69a3c5cff71e03b8dd82.jpg

70101754_Screenshot(210).thumb.png.9df39adf3efb64fc309affc41173f96d.png

New Style:

850087125_Screenshot(211).thumb.png.2302f063c3576d2477ecadb7484eadb8.png