IGNORED

What is your favorite motorcycle book?

MichiganBob

As winter approaches, a good motorcycle read is always welcomed. I have two recommendations. Elspeth Beard chronicles her 35,000 mile trip around the world on a 1974 R60/6. The book is titled "Lone Rider." The second is Neil Peart's 55,000 mile journey on a R1100GS. The drummer for Rush was grieving for family losses and the trip was his way of finding peace again. The title is "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road." What are your recommendations?

Ride Safe.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.49bc8f3642c3f2f218ffecc64a8ec494.jpeg

I seldom pick favorites, but David Hough's books are certainly the most-often read. I re-read one or both each year in February or March, just for a refresher.  I have given copies to at least four new riders and keep extra copies in the closet. They definitely have helped me stay alive on the street. 

I've become less enamored with the "Twist" and "Performance" books over the years. Many parts are very useful, but they emphasize lines that I think are better suited to the track than the roads I ride. 

Spiegel's "Upper Half" is interesting but is pretty heavy going, more psychology text than motorcycle book.

" A Perfect Vehicle" does a nice job of capturing aspects of the motorcycle experience.

Looking over my little collection, it occurs to me that I've had all of them for well over ten years. Time to see if there is anything new out there. 

RandyShields

I have a stack not quite as tall as yours, unless you count the travel guides and scenic ride books that I include.  One additional riding book is Going the Extra Mile by Ron Ayers, which is very good.

I loved Lone Rider.  I also got to see her in person when she did her tour here a few years ago.  I have a post about both somewhere on this site.

The owners manual, specifically the section about maintenance. Special mention to the lawyers and those boxed warnings on every page, it's so useful. 

• Haha 2

Probably out of print for 40 years, but the book that helped me ride better was "The Canyon Racer's Pocket Guide To Advanced Motorcycling Techniques" by  David Mallet and John Imre.  It's aimed primarily at road riding vs track riding.

I have a copy that I'd like to have restored or reprinted.

Frank

Thank you guys.  I am a great fan of Peter Egan's writings on sports cars and motorcycles, but I really appreciate your observances adding diversity to my library as I transition from the riding season to the reading and scheming about it season.

I just put in an Amazon book order thanks to your suggestions. 

On 10/5/2022 at 8:18 AM, lkraus said:

image.thumb.jpeg.49bc8f3642c3f2f218ffecc64a8ec494.jpeg

I seldom pick favorites, but David Hough's books are certainly the most-often read. I re-read one or both each year in February or March, just for a refresher.  I have given copies to at least four new riders and keep extra copies in the closet. They definitely have helped me stay alive on the street. 

I just donated my signed copy of Proficient Motorcycling to my nephew who just bought his first motorcycle. He'll be taking a rider training course in the spring, so I figured he could use the winter to do some pre-reading. We're looking forward to having another rider along for our family rides and tours.

As for my favourite reads, I'm a fan of all of Neil Peart's writing. Sad there will be no more from him. 

• 1 month later...

Did you know H-D had a factory supported motocross team?

This guy finds a factory team bike on CL and goes about researching its history while doing restoration. One thing leads to another...worthy of a book.

My father-in-law plays prominent in the book, having been a team mechanic back in the day. He was able to recall some obscure facts and details about this particular bike and rare parts the author tracked down for his restoration.

20221026_213943.jpg

• Like 2

Huh!!! That's really interesting syntorz. Who would've thought?

Every once in a while,  I lfind out that there's things going on I don't know about.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:56 AM, duckbubbles said:

Probably out of print for 40 years, but the book that helped me ride better was "The Canyon Racer's Pocket Guide To Advanced Motorcycling Techniques" by  David Mallet and John Imre.  It's aimed primarily at road riding vs track riding.

I have a copy that I'd like to have restored or reprinted.

Frank

I'm with Duckbubbles on this one. Mine's falling apart but I still refer to it for its timeless wisdom.

IMG_2618.jpg

• 1 month later...

ANYTHING Peter Egan…….an absolute craftsman of a writer.   My wife can blame him for the three motorcycles downstairs, lol.

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
On 12/5/2022 at 7:06 PM, syntorz said:

Did you know H-D had a factory supported motocross team?

This guy finds a factory team bike on CL and goes about researching its history while doing restoration. One thing leads to another...worthy of a book.

My father-in-law plays prominent in the book, having been a team mechanic back in the day. He was able to recall some obscure facts and details about this particular bike and rare parts the author tracked down for his restoration.

20221026_213943.jpg

I am not expert enough to be sure, but 49 appears to be nestled in a cannabis garden.

4 hours ago, Darbarian said:

I am not expert enough to be sure, but 49 appears to be nestled in a cannabis garden.

Like wow man…it’s Harley dude. :4607:

11 hours ago, Darbarian said:

Well, I'm no expert on that c- stuff, but I do know goldenrod, and that is goldenrod.

On 10/17/2022 at 6:55 AM, RPG said:

The Perfect Vehicle by Melissa Pierson is one of the best ever IMHO.

I just finished this, thanks to your suggestion.  It is a good winter read, but spends quite a bit of time describing cold, frozen even, wet, exhausted riding which runs a bit counter to the title. Her lovely language skills do go on a bit for my tastes.  While Peter Egan's tales / chapters were designed to fit the bike magazine audience attention span, Melissa takes a more, if I dare say, feminine approach describing all with no little bit left unturned. 

I do really appreciate the exposure to a confident, comfortable, avid motorcycling female's view when a whole lot of knuckle-draggers approach her with incorrect, insulting gender-based assumptions. This is something we biker dudes really ought to understand. 

15 hours ago, Darbarian said:

I just finished this, thanks to your suggestion.  It is a good winter read, but spends quite a bit of time describing cold, frozen even, wet, exhausted riding which runs a bit counter to the title. Her lovely language skills do go on a bit for my tastes.  While Peter Egan's tales / chapters were designed to fit the bike magazine audience attention span, Melissa takes a more, if I dare say, feminine approach describing all with no little bit left unturned. 

I do really appreciate the exposure to a confident, comfortable, avid motorcycling female's view when a whole lot of knuckle-draggers approach her with incorrect, insulting gender-based assumptions. This is something we biker dudes really ought to understand. 

Good synopsis, I read it about 25 years ago when motorcycling was well into it's resurgence and at the time a vintage Guzzi enthusiast so it hit home on several fronts. If anything her unique perspective adds to the storyline. I think one of the reasons a motorcycle is the perfect vehicle is that after an exhausting day of inclement weather (and positive attitude) you come away with a feeling of purpose, conscientiousness, and satisfaction you'd can't get riding in a car, ie being alive, at least it does for me.

My favorite writers though were Bob Hidgon when he wrote for On The Level and the Iron Butt Assoc, Dr. Curve when contributing in the MOA Owner’s News, both a bit edgy in a Hunter Thompson sort of way. And again, Peter Egan who I've had the pleasure of meeting and riding with a couple times, truly one of the greats (I think of him as the Mark Twain of motorcycling : )

Another I liked is 'Investment Biker' by Jim Rogers, a retired Wall St. wizard riding an airhead RT around the world (more or less) with his (much) younger girlfriend. The adventure was obviously more interesting than the investment advice which was pertinent during that time period but a good read nonetheless. The bike is now in the Barber Museum and deservedly so.

9 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Good synopsis, I read it about 25 years ago when motorcycling was well into it's resurgence and at the time a vintage Guzzi enthusiast so it hit home on several fronts. If anything her unique perspective adds to the storyline. I think one of the reasons a motorcycle is the perfect vehicle is that after an exhausting day of inclement weather (and positive attitude) you come away with a feeling of purpose, conscientiousness, and satisfaction you'd can't get riding in a car, ie being alive, at least it does for me.

My favorite writers though were Bob Hidgon when he wrote for On The Level and the Iron Butt Assoc, Dr. Curve when contributing in the MOA Owner’s News, and again Peter Egan who I've had the pleasure of meeting and riding with a couple times, truly one of the greats (I think of him as the Mark Twain of motorcycling : )

Another I liked is 'Investment Biker' by Jim Rogers, a retired Wall St. wizard riding an airhead RT around the world (more or less) with his (much) younger girlfriend. The adventure was obviously more interesting than the investment advice which was pertinent during that time period but a good read nonetheless. The bike is now in the Barber Museum and deservedly so.

hey Bill, Thanks for the feedback. I forgot about Jim Rodgers' book. I remember I got it from a friend in my club but never started it. I'll have to re-visit that one.

Rick

• Like 1

For your viewing pleasure Chapter 47 Drifting in France from "50 Wild Motorcycle Tales," Author is Jorge Picabea.

"I thing it is the perspective. Yes, traveling by car is like riding in a submarine, protected by fathomless obscurity of comfort. One relaxes in the boredom of the sealed perspective, where surface woes can hardly bother the mind, entertained by distant voices coming from the antenna and quick looks through the tinted glass of the periscope, now and then surfacing at a gas station or a rest area for a whiff of clean air and a quick look at the scenery." 

"Like surface skimmers we find ourselves at the mercy of the weather. We sit behind our handlebars grinning under the blue skies. or clenching our teeth in determination when heavy rain hits us square in the face. And only under untenable circumstances do we seek refuge on the leeward side of a motel's parking lot or under any convenient portico,"

" In exchange we get to be one with nature, making the arrival to our destination an almost spiritual experience. That's why you will find us port side in a cozy corner of our favorite hangout, exchanging stories of past voyages, eventually putting some on paper in an attempt to share them with our distant motorcycle brothers and sisters. Yes I think it's all about perspective."

• Like 1

I remember how well the Perfect Vehicle starts with her description of starting a motorcycle and taking off. Excellent writing.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 9:15 PM, Hosstage said:

I enjoy reading Peter Egan's contributions to diferrent magazines over the years, always quite engaging.

+1 on Peter Egan's Leanings 

I have read a LOT of motorcycle books and usually read them once and sell them so someone else can enjoy them.  These are my 2 favorites that I did not sell !! 

IMG_8712.jpg

IMG_8713.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 8.29.33 PM.png

• 2 months later...
Dr. Montano

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M Pirsig.

To me it is an essential read. It really makes you understand the fun in stopping to fix whatever is needed with pause and calm and enjoying that as much as being in the landscape. Taking your time. Choosing the roads. But then also everything else it speaks of. Of course I'm a University teacher also, though I travel with my wife rather than a kid. I must be old (60) but for me it is the first of the books on motorcycling I sugest.

Hayppy riding.